A super hearty and healthy Winter Veggie Soup perfect for those long winter nights when all you are craving is warmth, comfort and yoga pants.
You guys, I haaaaaad to share this soup with you. I mean, how delicious is this?
Just say hello to the Winter Veggie Soup made with only the finest year-round veggies with just the right kick of heat from the peppers. I like my Winter Veggie Soup with a spoonful of pesto stirred in for a little extra brightness too!
Grab a spoon!
If you haven’t realized already… soup is kind of my thing here on NOURISHED. This is my 6th soup post since this blog has gone live in August. That means I’m averaging more than 1 soup a month. That means I may have a problem. A delicious, soupy problem.
So, of course, I love the soupy nature of this bowl of gluten-free and vegan goodness. It’s packed with veggies that are readily available and more or less in season during the cold, wintery months. And it is just oh-so-easy to make.
For you all you soup-haters… I’ll be back to something a little less soupy next week 🙂
I also love this soup because it has pretty much been my everything for the last 2 days. I, unfortunately, had to get my wisdom teeth out on Wednesday and it was pretty much awful. (I guess that is to be expected with any sort of dental surgery but still!) So here I am on a strict diet of anything in liquid form. Which means I’m on a strict diet of all my favourites – smoothies and soups (and ice cream!!)… Like this Winter Veggie Soup.
You can definitely keep this soup chunky or, if you also happen to be getting teeth extracted, you can puree it into a smooth and silky bowl of yum. Both ways are equally delicious and equally as good for you which brings me to why you will love this soup…
Who doesn’t love a good bowl of soup on a chilly night? #amiright
A veggie soup in December is a great way to switch things up. December is the month of cookies, large meals and waaay too many desserts. Lighten things up with a bowl of this!
This soup is hearty and filling while still being healthy and good for you at the same time. It’s packed with mushrooms and peppers, spinach and white beans. It’s gluten-free and completely customizable to what you have in the fridge (which is kind of my favourite part because I have not been good at grocery shopping lately). It’s good for you and loaded with greens.
Happy healthy eating, friends!Print
Winter Veggie Soup
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 jalapeno or poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 19 oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained (white kidney beans or pinto beans)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 large handfuls spinach (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade if you have it)
- 2 cups water
- 1 dried bay leaf
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook for about 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms are brown and onions have begun to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, peppers and beans to the pot. Cook, stirring frequency so the garlic doesn’t burn, until the garlic becomes fragrant, about a minute. Season with the salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add the parsley and spinach. Cook until the spinach begins to wilt.
- Add the stock, water and bay leaf.
- Let the soup come to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until the peppers and beans are very tender. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Soup will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days if stored in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Leave a Reply