A Chopped Veggie Kale Salad recipe that has lots of crunch, texture and flavour all topped with a homemade sweet sesame-ginger dressing. A healthy and nutrient-rich salad perfect for lunch or beside any dinner.
For the Sesame Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari (or use other gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
For the Salad:
- 6 (heaping) cups kale, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts or cabbage (or use more kale)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped (or use parsley instead)
- 1 cup bell pepper (any colour), thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 cup sweet snap peas, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated or chopped
- 1/4 cup onion (red, white or green), thinly sliced
- Optional for Serving: sesame seeds, chopped peanut or cashews, steamed edamame, baked tofu
- In a small mixing bowl or mason jar with a tight fitting lid, add the oils, honey, lime juice, tamari and ginger and whisk well or shake vigorously until smooth. Set aside.
- Add chopped kale and Brussels spouts or cabbage, if using, into a very large bowl. Pour about 4-5 tablespoons of the dressing over the kale. Using your hands, ‘massage’ or rub the dressing into the kale pieces to help break down the toughness of the kale. After about a minute of ‘massaging’ the kale, it should look soft and wilted. Stir in cilantro.
- Transfer massaged kale to your serving bowl and top with chopped veggies – peppers, snap peas, carrot and onion – and then any other optional toppings you’d like.
- Drizzle of the remaining dressing over top of the salad and serve immediately.
This salad is best served the day it’s made.