Healthy lunch doesn’t get better than this! This Easy Veggie Black Bean Salad with Zesty Lime Dressing is the best vegetarian and gluten free meal prep recipe for lunch (or a simple side dish!) all week long. Made with peppers, kale and carrots tossed together with a homemade dressing with cumin, honey and lime, this salad is delicious!
For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (or use other liquid sweetener – agave or maple syrup, if vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Fresh ground pepper
For the Salad:
- 3 cups finely chopped kale (tough stems removed)
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (from 1 small peeled carrot)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup; or use any colour pepper)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- IN A JAR WITH A TIGHT-FITTING LID, SHAKE TOGETHER THE DRESSING UNTIL SMOOTH – OLIVE OIL, LIME JUICE, honey, SALT, CUMIN, CHILI POWDER, PEPPER. SEASON THE DRESSING TO TASTE, ADDING MORE SALT OR LIME JUICE, IF NEEDED. SET ASIDE.
- TO A LARGE MIXING BOWL, ADD THE KALE. DRIZZLE HALF OF THE DRESSING OVER THE KALE AND MASSAGE FOR A MINUTE OR TWO UNTIL THE KALE IS WILTED AND SOFTENED.
- ADD THE BLACK BEANS, parsley, carrot, pepper and onion TO THE KALE. POUR THE REMAINING DRESSING OVER TOP AND MIX WELL. SEASON WITH ADDITIONAL SALT AND PEPPER IF NEEDED.
- BEST IF SERVED IMMEDIATELY. CAN KEEP IN THE FRIDGE FOR UP TO 2 DAYS (ADDITIONAL SALT AND LIME JUICE MAY BE NEEDED IF SERVING A DAY OR TWO LATER)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Serving Size: 1