Bell peppers stuffed with a mixture of quinoa, chickpeas and garlicky vegetables and topped with cheese are the perfect gluten free dinner for any night of the week. Best served with a side salad.
- 1/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/4 cup brown rice, uncooked (or use all quinoa)
- 1 cup water or stock
- 4 medium to large bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4–5 cups chopped vegetables (any combination of carrots, onions, broccoli, kale or spinach, celery, mushrooms, etc)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 2 teaspoons Italian spice blend
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs (I used parsley and basil), plus more for garnish
- 1 cup cheese, grated (or as much or as little cheese as you’d like)
- Add quinoa and brown rice to a medium pot with water or stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- While quinoa is cooking prepare the peppers and start on the filling. Cut each pepper in half lengthwise. Remove stem, seeds and ribs. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook until just tender.
- Add the garlic and Italian spice blend and cook about 1 minute or until very fragrant. (If garlic or herbs start sticking add a couple more drops of oil.) Stir in the chickpeas and apple cider vinegar. Remove from heat. Stir in the the cooked quinoa.
- Stuff the peppers with the quinoa filling. Take one pepper half and fill it with 1/8 of the quinoa filling. Set stuffed pepper on the prepared baking sheet and continue until peppers and filling are gone. (There might be some leftover filling depending on how big your peppers are and how much your stuff in each pepper.)
- Cover peppers lightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pepper from oven and uncover with foil. Top each pepper with the grated cheese.
- Return peppers to oven and continue to bake for 15 minutes or so until peppers are very tender and cheese is brown and bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Top peppers with extra herbs and serve immediately.
- Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes