These super easy Honey Roasted Vegetable Chicken Quinoa Bowls make for the best lunch or dinner. This recipe uses oven-baked chicken, roasted vegetables and a homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette over top of fluffy quinoa. Serve it warm or cold for an amazing and easy-to-make meal prep recipe to enjoy all week long.
Call me crazy but some days food in bowl-form just tastes so.much.better.
Anyone with me on this?
I mean, I guess you could serve this one on a plate but I swear quinoa + roasted veggies + chicken + crunchy walnuts tastes so much better together in a bowl.
MAKING REAL FOOD EASY AND DELICIOUS WITH HONEY-ROASTED VEGETABLE CHICKEN QUINOA BOWLS…
This healthy quinoa-focused dinner (or lunch!) is one that I never get tired of. It’s a perfect combination of vegetables and chicken and my favourite grain and it couldn’t be easier to make! Just be sure to read this recipe to the end before you get started.
These super easy Honey Roasted Vegetable Chicken Quinoa Bowls make for the best lunch AND dinner. This recipe uses oven roasted vegetables and chicken with a homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette and fluffy quinoa. Serve it warm or cold for an amazing and easy to make meal prep recipe to enjoy all week long.
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (from 1–2 broccoli crowns)
- 2 cups roughly chopped bell pepper (from 2 small peppers)
- 1 cup roughly chopped onion (from 1 small onion)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1/2 lb or so)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian spice blend, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1–2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water or stock
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (raw or roasted)
- Chopped herbs, sliced green onion, extra nuts, for serving (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat for easy clean up.
- Arrange chopped vegetables (broccoli, onion, peppers) and chicken breast on the baking sheet and drizzle with oil and season with Italian spice blend, garlic powder and salt. Give everything a toss on the pan to ensure everything gets coated with the oil and seasoning.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked through and vegetables are tender, being sure to stir and toss the vegetables once after about 15 minutes to prevent burning or sticking to the pan.
- Remove veggies and chicken from oven and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of honey (I prefer 2 tablespoons.). Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and let cook slightly.
- While the veggies and chicken are in the oven: Make the quinoa. In a pot over medium-high heat, add quinoa and water or stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and cover. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed, or according to package directions.
- While the veggies and chicken are still in the oven and quinoa is cooking: Make the dressing. In a mason jar or tight sealing containers, add oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake until well mixed.
- When all the veggies, chicken and quinoa are ready: Add the warm quinoa to a large mixing bowl along with the roasted vegetables and chicken, the nuts (if using) and half of the dressing. Toss to combine evenly.
- Serve hot or chilled with additional dressing drizzled over top and extra herbs, sliced green onion or nuts.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
HOW TO MAKE THIS HEALTHY QUINOA RECIPE WITH CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES…
There are so many stars in this dish it’s had to pick a favourite. The quinoa. The vegetables. The chicken. The dressing. The crunchy walnuts.
I used my favourite fluffy, white quinoa here. But, really, if you want to venture into the realm of tri-coloured quinoa you should do it! It has an amazing texture, an amazing nuttiness, is incredibly pretty and an overall great way of jazzing up dinner this week.
My vegetables of choice here are broccoli, peppers and onions mostly because they are all amazing when roasted up. Roasted broccoli. Roasted red pepper. Roasted onions. Yes. Yes. And yes! Any combination of vegetables would work here especially if they are in season. Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes… I could go on forever. (And if you love roasted vegetables you have to check out this recipe!)
The dressing here is a classic and one that I make each and every week – a super simple honey balsamic vinaigrette. Honey, balsamic, olive oil, and Dijon mustard (a secret/not so secret ingredient that keeps the oil and vinegar emulsified) – it’s simple, delicious and so easy to make.
And the chicken – roasted to perfection. Chicken isn’t an ingredient that has made it into too many Always Nourished recipes as of late but it fits in so well here and makes the bowl a power bowl. To keep this quinoa bowl vegetarian you can definitely substitute chickpeas or do extra nuts or just leave it out altogether and do the veggies and quinoa.
Whether you serve this one warm or cold, have it for dinner or make it as a make-ahead meal for all week long these quinoa bowls are a simple and delicious recipe.
MORE ABOUT THIS ROASTED VEGETABLE & CHICKEN QUINOA SALAD…
When I was first getting started in the kitchen, and you know, trying to cook healthy meals for myself, becoming more aware of what I was putting into my body and really cleaning up my kitchen and eating habits and what-not, a roasted veggie quinoa salad was probably the second ‘recipe’ I conquered that made me feel like a complete rockstar in the kitchen. (The first being some variation of this Chickpea Salad.)
And I say recipe loosely because there was no real recipe – Pinterest was barely a thing back then (ugh – am I really getting to be that old?) and this rockstar roasted veggie quinoa salad was really just a (literal) mess of a handful of ingredients thrown together in a bowl that I thought could maybe taste OK together.
Looking back, that salad was really just pepper and onions that were under seasoned and either ‘caramelized’ beyond recognition (yes, I am still known to get distracted by my phone or the TV or the cat and burn things to a crisp) or barely warmed through because I was too terrified to let them get too close to ‘caramelization’ but it didn’t matter because to me that was a pretty gourmet dish and I really felt like I was a rockstar competing with the Gordon Ramsay, Rachael Ray, and Bobby Flay.
With all that said, roasted veggies + quinoa + me have come a loooong way since that first bowl of actual mess. Because here we are today with this delicious, could eat it for 5 days in a row and still love it, Roasted Vegetable Chicken Quinoa Bowls recipe.
It’s still not the prettiest quinoa salad going.
It’s still just kind of a mess of things thrown together in a bowl that I think taste pretty OK together.
It’s still, on some level or another, giving me that rockstar-status feeling with each and every bite.
And it’s definitely proof that if you dream of becoming a confident, healthy cook in your kitchen, all you need is a little practice, a little determination and a lot of learning from your mistakes.
The Honey Roasted Vegetable Chicken Quinoa Bowls was originally published in February 2018. The recipe and photos were updated in September, 2018. Thank you for supporting Always Nourished and making recipes like this one possible!