A warming lentil stew recipe made vegan and gluten free with green lentils and lots of veggies and herbs. Best served with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small – medium potato, chopped (about 1 cup)*
- 1 small-medium sweet potato, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard (or use 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard; optional)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 4–6 cups vegetable stock (no salt added)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or use fresh squeezed lemon juice)
- 3 cups (packed) spinach, kale or collard greens
- 1 cup Italian or curly parsley (chopped), plus more for serving
- Olive oil (flavoured or plain), extra lemon juice for serving
- In a large pot or soup pot with a tight fitting lid, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and potatoes to the pot. Let cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes until onions just start to often without browning.
- Add the garlic, salt, fresh ground pepper, paprika, mustard (if using) and thyme. Cook for another 3 minutes or so or until very fragrant. Stir in the lentils.
- Add 4 cups of the vegetable stock and bay leaf. Bring soup to a gentle boil then reduce heat to low and cover. Let lentils simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.The stew will be very thick in consistency –
- thin with remaining stock and/or water until desired consistency is reached. (This stew is meant to be a thick, rich and hearty stew, though.)
- Stir in apple cider vinegar and remove from heat.
- Fold in spinach (or other leafy green) and parsley – the residual heat from the stew should wilt the spinach and parsley. Season with additional salt or pepper.
- Serve stew with a drizzle of olive oil, extra lemon juice and extra parsley on top. This stew freezes really well.
* I prefer to peel my potatoes before adding them into this stew. Peeling is not completely necessary though.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes