A simple and elegant Vegan Leek and Pea Risotto with Asparagus recipe perfect for enjoying all of spring’s favourite vegetables. This gluten free Italian-style rice dish is made with leeks, peas, spinach and fresh herbs perfect for entertaining or enjoying any night of the week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups leeks (white and light green parts only), sliced and washed well
- 1 tablespoon garlic, freshly grated or minced (from 2–3 large cloves)
- 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine (or use 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice and enough water to make 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock (or store bought works too)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup baby peas, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil and parsley)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, juice of half a lemon, fresh ground pepper, fresh herbs, 1 batch Honey Lemon Roasted Asparagus
- Heat the homemade vegetable stock and water in a sauce pot over medium-low heat until just about a simmer. Adjust the heat, if needed, to keep the stock at just about a simmer for the entire cooking time.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottom skillet or dutch oven over medium-heat. Cook the leeks until just before brown. Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pan and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- When garlic is fragrant, add the rice to the pan. Toast the rice while stirring frequently for a minute or so until. Add white wine or lemon juice mixture to the pan being sure to release any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cook the rice in the wine, stirring almost constantly, until the wine has been absorbed.
- When the wine is absorbed, add a ladle of stock to the pan (about 1/4-1/3 cup at a time), stirring almost constantly until the stock is absorbed then add another ladle.
- Continue to gradually add stock and stirring until all but a single ladle of stock remains and the rice is just about tender and super creamy, this will take about 25-30 minutes.
- When you add the last ladle of stock, add the peas, spinach, herbs and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pan continuing to stir until the lastly added stock is absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the red pepper flakes, lemon juice and fresh ground pepper, if using. Season with additional salt if needed.
- Serve immediately and garnish with lots of Honey Lemon Roasted Asparagus and some fresh herbs, like chives, basil or parsley.
Nutrition Information does not include optional toppings.