A Vegan Leek and Pea Risotto with Asparagus recipe perfect for enjoying all of spring’s favourite vegetables. This gluten free Italian-style rice dish is made with leeks, peas, spinach and fresh herbs perfect for entertaining or enjoying any night of the week.
Nothing says springtime like this Vegan Leek and Pea Risotto with Asparagus!
A simple yet super elegant and classy rice dish loaded with leeks, peas, spinach, fresh herbs and garnished lots of honey lemon roasted asparagus. Talk about all of my favourite spring vegetables in a single and delicious dinner.
It doesn’t get much better than this!
And I know I can’t be the only one… Whenever I hear the word risotto it makes me smile and think of Chef Ramsay on just about every single episode of Hell’s Kitchen, “It’s RRRAAAAAWW!!” Oh boy, do I love reality cooking shows and Chef Ramsay! But this risotto is anything but raw. It’s delicious.
I love a good risotto. And, if we are keeping things real here, it really is not as complicated as it sounds. Sure, a lot of stirring is involved – stirring until your arm is ready to fall off makes for the creamiest and dreamiest risotto going and, trust me, it is well worth the effort!
It’s one of those meals, much like the roasted red pepper pesto pasta from a couple weeks ago, that is super easy to make but will definitely be sure to impress all of your family and friends.
This Vegan Leek and Pea Risotto it tastes amazing for only using such simple ingredients. Thinly sliced (and well washed — leek tutorial here) leeks make the perfect base for this dish. They’re subtle but sweet but slightly onion-y and are the perfect accent next to bright peas and leafy spinach. Starchy arborio rice (which is an Italian kind of rice) becomes so rich and creamy with simmered (and stirred) together with homemade vegetable stock (or low sodium boxed works too) and a little white wine or extra lemon juice.
And that Honey Lemon Roasted Asparagus on top!
Serve with a quick green salad on the side for a light and bright yet rich and creamy, a perfect springtime inspired meal. And it’s gluten free, very much vegan and beyond satisfying!Print
A simple and elegant Vegan Leek and Pea Risotto with Asparagus recipe perfect for enjoying all of spring’s favourite vegetables. This gluten free Italian-style rice dish is made with leeks, peas, spinach and fresh herbs perfect for entertaining or enjoying any night of the week.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups leeks (white and light green parts only), sliced and washed well
- 1 tablespoon garlic, freshly grated or minced (from 2–3 large cloves)
- 1 1/4 cups arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine (or use 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice and enough water to make 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock (or store bought works too)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup baby peas, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil and parsley)
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, juice of half a lemon, fresh ground pepper, fresh herbs, 1 batch Honey Lemon Roasted Asparagus
- Heat the homemade vegetable stock and water in a sauce pot over medium-low heat until just about a simmer. Adjust the heat, if needed, to keep the stock at just about a simmer for the entire cooking time.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottom skillet or dutch oven over medium-heat. Cook the leeks until just before brown. Add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pan and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- When garlic is fragrant, add the rice to the pan. Toast the rice while stirring frequently for a minute or so until. Add white wine or lemon juice mixture to the pan being sure to release any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Cook the rice in the wine, stirring almost constantly, until the wine has been absorbed.
- When the wine is absorbed, add a ladle of stock to the pan (about 1/4-1/3 cup at a time), stirring almost constantly until the stock is absorbed then add another ladle.
- Continue to gradually add stock and stirring until all but a single ladle of stock remains and the rice is just about tender and super creamy, this will take about 25-30 minutes.
- When you add the last ladle of stock, add the peas, spinach, herbs and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pan continuing to stir until the lastly added stock is absorbed.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the red pepper flakes, lemon juice and fresh ground pepper, if using. Season with additional salt if needed.
- Serve immediately and garnish with lots of Honey Lemon Roasted Asparagus and some fresh herbs, like chives, basil or parsley.
Nutrition Information does not include optional toppings.
And there’s more!
Today I’ve teamed up with some of my favourite blogging friends to bring you not just one recipe jam-packed with springtime goodness but 4 others too! It’s like a Spring Inspired Vegan Recipe Extravaganza with the help of Cookie and Kate’s What’s in Season April Produce Guide.
All of these recipes look so amazing and I am so excited to try them all! We have…
Sweet Potato Pancakes with Peanut Butter Maple Syrup from Alexa at Fooduzzi