This Fresh Swiss Chard Salad is my favourite summer salad featuring garden fresh green swiss chard, blueberries, strawberries, nuts and a tangy and delicious honey goat cheese dressing. The perfect gluten free and healthy side salad or light lunch.
I think I could eat this salad every day for the next… forever.
Do you blame me, though? A super fresh, super summery salad made of only the good things. Made completely gluten free, vegetarian friendly and just so… good.
I mean, crispy leafy greens straight from the garden (or market or grocery store – let’s not be too picky) topped with nature’s candy (in the form of fresh summer berries) and lots of crunchy nuts on top? The only things that might make those greens + berries + nuts any better is with a sweet and tangy Honey Goat Cheese Dressing made from scratch!
Yeah, that dressing though! (heart eyes x a million!) I’m a dressing girl. Sauces, spreads, dips, dressings, call them what you want, they make my heart melt, my stomach happy and my world go ’round.
MORE ABOUT THIS FRESH SWISS CHARD SALAD RECIPE…
Sometimes I can’t get over how good greens + fruit + cheese tastes in salad form. It’s one of those flavour combinations I will never get tired of.
Here I am using local berries while I still can get my hands of them (Niagara region – woot!). I like strawberries and blueberries but I’m sure any berry combo will do. And some chopped raw walnuts for crunch. Not salted, not roasted, just plain walnuts right from their shells (or resealable bag…)
Side Note: Walnuts and I have this complicated, weird, phase-y relationship. They’re expensive. I get it. I don’t think they quite understand their own price tags though. Therefore our relationship is essentially my food budget won’t allow for them so no nuts for us. OR… I splurge my entire food budget on a huge bag of walnuts and try to squirrel them away for when recipes really absolutely and completely need them… like this salad.
And then the Swiss Chard!! After spinach, chard is my favourite leafy green. And I am so happy my mom’s community organic garden is loaded with chard (and that the stuff just keeps on coming!). Swiss chard makes an amazing green for salads. A little more texture than spinach but less chew and bitterness than kale. It’s pretty much the best of both worlds and touches right on that salad-y sweet spot.
Then dress everything up in a super easy and super delicious homemade dressing… made of cheese! And my favourite kind of cheese at that – the goat stuff. It’s a little sweet, a little tangy and really makes the greens and berries good friends. And I pretty much just want to put this cheesy dressing on everything.
So, if you haven’t tried a Swiss chard salad before – you have to try this one!Print
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup plain goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 4 cups green or red swiss chard, washed well and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup baby spinach (or more swiss chard)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1–2 tablespoons hemp seeds
For the Dressing:
- Add the goat cheese, olive oil, honey, vinegar, water and salt and pepper to a high speed blender, food processor or NutriBullet. Blend until smooth and even. Taste the dressing and adjust for honey, salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Transfer to a mason jar or air tight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl or salad bowl, add the swiss chard and spinach (if using). Top with berries and nuts.
- Pour about half the dressing over top of the lettuce mixture and toss to combine and coat the leaves.
- Sprinkle the walnuts and hemp seeds over top.
- Serve with additional dressing on the side, if needed.