A deliciously sweet and zesty Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad recipe all dressed up in a zesty lime vinaigrette. Fluffy white quinoa dressed in a zesty lime dressing with roasted sweet potato, cranberries, and kale made into a pretty fantastic and easy-to-make salad.
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, washed, peeled and cut into 1 cm chunks (about 3 cups sweet potato)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1 cup finely chopped kale (optional but recommended)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs, roughly chopped (I like an equal combination of cilantro and parsley)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I like red or green onion)
- 2–3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
For the Dressing:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or use more lime juice)
- 1 tablespoon honey (or try maple syrup or agave, if vegan)
- 1/8 teaspoon (each) ground cinnamon, ground cumin, ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
For the Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat for easy clean up.
- Transfer the chopped sweet potato to the baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Gently toss the sweet potatoes with your hand to coat. Lightly season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cover the sweet potatoes loosely with a piece of foil and bake for 20 minutes, or when the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the foil covering and let potatoes cool slightly before handling.
For the Quinoa:
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, add dried quinoa and cooking liquid (water or stock) to a pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Let the quinoa cook for 10-12 minutes or until fluffy and no water remains (or follow package directions).
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly in pot before handling.
For the Dressing:
- While the quinoa is cooking, add oil, lime juice, vinegar, honey (or sweetener of choice), spices and salt to a bowl or mason jar. Whisk or shake until the salad dressing comes together. Adjust sweetness, salt or lime to taste, if needed. Set aside.
For the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the slightly cooled sweet potatoes, slightly cooked quinoa, chopped kale, cranberries, onions and fresh herbs.
- Pour the dressing over top of the veggies and quinoa. Gentle stir to combine, ensuring everything is evenly coated. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with raw pumpkin seeds on top.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.