With lots of warm gingery spices and a little natural sweetness, this Nutty Gingerbread Granola is a festive and superfood-packed breakfast option.
- 3 cups rolled oats, gluten free
- 1 1/2 cups raw nuts, chopped (I used a combination of almonds, walnuts and pecans)
- 6 tablespoons Smile Wholefood Blend of choice (I prefer the cranberry here)*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4–5 tablespoons maple syrup or honey**
- 6 tablespoons oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, Smile Wholefood Blend, spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice), salt and nuts. Stir to combine.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add molasses, honey, oil and vanilla. Microwave for 30 seconds until just warm. Whisk to combine then pour over oat mixture.
- Stir the oat, ensuring that the oats are evenly coated with the honey mixture. (If mixture is too dry add a little more honey and a little more oil until a better consistency is better. If the mixture is too wet add a couple tablespoons of oats.)
- Transfer the oat mixture to the prepared baking sheet and smooth into an even layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and crunchy, being sure to stir even 10 minutes or so to prevent burning around the edges.
- Let cool completely on the pan before transferring to an airtight container.
6 tablespoons of ground flaxseed can be substituted for the Wholefood Blend in a pinch.
*I start with 4 tablespoons of liquid sweetener and only add more if the consistency of the mixture is too dry or I am feeling extra sweet.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes