Spicy Sweet Potato Peanut Soup with Kale is a healthy and easy to make weeknight soup that is sure to please! This gluten free and dairy free chunky vegetable soup is made with peanut butter, ginger, tomatoes, turmeric and, of course, sweet potatoes and is the perfect combination of sweet, spicy and creamy.
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely grated or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated or minced
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3–4 cups finely chopped peeled sweet potatoes (from about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth, no-salt-added or low-sodium
- 3 cups finely chopped kale
- ¼ cup creamy, all-natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
- In a large, heavy-bottom pot (I always use my dutch oven for soups) heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 3-5 minutes until translucent but not browned. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to cook for another minute. Add the turmeric, paprika, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine with the onions. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 25-30 minutes until sweet potatoes are very tender.
- Stir in kale and let cook for another 3-5 minutes until kale is wilted and very tender.
- Add the lime juice and peanut butter and stir until well combined. Season soup with additional salt, lime or red pepper flakes if needed.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: soup, side dish, sweet potato soup, peanut butter, spicy