Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges make for the ultimate in side dishes to add to any dinner or lunch. These easy-to-make french fries are a little sweet on the inside, a little spicy on the outside and totally delicious.
Aren’t healthy and homemade, super thick-cut potato wedges just the best?
I mean, you pretty much had me at healthy french fry. But not just any french fry. Super delicious and easy to make and gluten-free and vegan fries made from sweet potatoes that are seasoned with a little extra sweet, a little bit of spice and roasted until perfectly tender on the inside and slightly crisp and chewy on the outside.
Best served with your favourite dip!
With cooler temperatures and the official arrival of fall, I have to say that I am no longer afraid to turn my oven on. It was such a hot summer which meant my oven got a serious 3-month break. There was no way I was going to turn any appliance on that was going to make my apartment any hotter than it already was.
And with these cooler temperatures, I am excited to get back to baking, roasted, broiling and all that fun stuff. Roasted vegetables with dinner, spontaneous muffin making, casseroles, baked pasta dishes, pizza – it is going to be a tasty fall, my friends.
Starting with these spicy roasted sweet potato wedges!
MORE ABOUT THIS RECIPE FOR ROASTED SWEET POTATO WEDGES…
Because healthy fries are the ultimate side dish to any dinner.
And because sweet potato fries were such a craze 2 years ago that I think should really come back in style.
Sweet, sweet deliciousness that’s totally tender on the inside and a little crispy and chewy on the outside all in perfect wedge form.
I suggest about 2 a sweet potato per person… unless you are eating in my kitchen then obnoxious amount of roasted sweet potatoes are needed.
The seasoning blend here is spot-on. A little bit of sweet cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, a little bit of cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. You can definitely add or take away to the spice level by adding just a little bit of cayenne or adding lots of cayenne – whatever works for you!
These fries are best served with your favourite dip. Sweet, spicy, creamy or, my personal favourite, ketchup.Print
Spicy Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges make for the ultimate in side dishes to add to any dinner or lunch. These easy to make french fries are a little sweet on the inside, a little spicy on the outside and totally delicious.
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes (about 1/2 a potato per person), scrubbed and washed with skins left on
- 1 tablespoon oil (avocado, coconut, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (add more or less to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg, optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a small bowl or dish mix together the cinnamon, cayenne, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cut the potato into wedges. (This can easily be done by cutting each potato in half lengthwise and then cutting each half in half lengthwise again. These quarters can be cut again into 2 or 3 wedges. The goal is to get each wedge to be about the same size so they cook evenly. OR just watch this video.)
- Transfer the sweet potato wedges to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with spice mixture. Toss and rub the potato wedges until they are evenly coated with the oil and spices.
- Arrange the wedges skin side down the prepared baking sheet. Carefully transfer the baking sheet to the oven (if some wedges fall over that’s OK too) and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the wedges are very tender.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dip..
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes