Roasted Vegetable Grain Bowls are a simple and easy-to-make recipe that’s perfect for dinner any night or as a nutritious make-ahead lunch perfect for all week long.
This Roasted Vegetable Grain Bowl recipe combines all the good things – roasted vegetables, chickpeas, and quinoa in a completely gluten-free and easy-to-make recipe. Drizzled with a fabulous, lick-the-spoon sweet mustard-dill sauce.
This recipe is so, so, so simple and that’s why I love it so much. You can use your favourite grains, any combination of vegetables you happen to have in the fridge and you can choose to go crazy or not with that sweet mustard-dill sauce. This bowl is perfect for dinner any night or as a make-ahead lunch all week long. It keeps amazing in the fridge and can be eaten warm, cold or at room temperature.
MORE ABOUT THESE ROASTED VEGETABLE GRAIN BOWLS…
I used quinoa here but your favourite grain of choice, millet, or rice of any variety (wild, brown, white, etc) would all work. And because the only thing that makes grains of any kind better is when there’s a whole ton of roasted veggies on top! I went with a combination of sweet potato, broccoli, onions, Brussels sprouts, kale and chickpeas (Yes – ALL THE VEGGIES!). And you can definitely substitute the Brussels and the broccoli for whatever combination of vegetables you have on hand – cauliflower, peppers, carrots, the list goes on. Just make sure they are roasted until soft and tender and just golden brown.
And yes I did say chickpeas! I love any dish with chickpeas and this is no exception. Especially when those chickpeas are roasted – they add such amazing texture, chew and a nutritious fibre-protein punch.
Once the bowl is assembled – quinoa (or grain of choice) and then roasted veggies and then top it all off with drizzles of that sweet, mustard and dill dressing. I love the mustard-dill combo. It’s bright and fresh and totally delicious. If you’re not a huge dill fan (I know, there are a few of you out there) you can pass on the dill or change it up for a dried parsley but if you can do it the dill is highly recommended.Print
Roasted Vegetable Grain Bowls are a simple and easy to make recipe that’s perfect for dinner any night or as a nutritious make-ahead lunch perfect for all week long.
For the Bowl:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into bite-sized cubes
- (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into mini florets
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved or quartered (about 15–20 large sprouts)
- 1 cup onion, roughly chopped (from about 1 small onion)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed well and patted dry*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fine Sea Salt and Pepper, a pinch of each or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian spice blend
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
For the Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1–2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
For the Bowl:
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Transfer sweet potatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, onions and chickpeas to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper (to your liking), Italian spice blend and garlic powder. Toss the vegetables around on the baking sheet (either with your hands or a spatula) to make sure each veggie is coated with oil and the spices.
- Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes then remove the pan to give the vegetable mix a good stir. Add the torn kale to the pan, stir to incorporate and return to the oven to roast for 15 more minutes or until chickpeas are slightly crisp and the vegetables are tender.
- While the veggies are roasting, make the quinoa. Add quinoa and water to a medium-sized pot over high heat. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and let quinoa cook until all the water is absorbed or about 12-15 minutes. (Or follow package instructions.)
- Remove from heat and let quinoa cool slightly.
For the Dressing:
- In a small mixing bowl or mason jar, whisk or shake the oil, lemon, mustard, maple syrup, salt and dill (if using) until smooth and consistent. Set aside.
Assembling the bowl:
- To make 4 portions, add a quarter of the quinoa to each bowl followed by a quarter of the roasted vegetables and chickpeas. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of the mustard-dill dressing over top of the entire bowl.
- Serve hot, warm or cold.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
This recipe was first posted on this site in February 2017. I’ve updated the photos, ingredients and instructions slightly and have reposted it in January 2018. Thank you for all your comments and feedback!
I have been bowl obsessed lately – I just can’t get enough!! And these are definitely some nutritious AND delicious bowls. Because delicious, quick and easy dinners piled high in a bowl is definitely the way to go for dinner!
And yes, I am well aware of the fact that this little healthy food website is flooded with roasted vegetables. Do ya blame a girl? Roasted vegetables, in my opinion, are the best (and dare I say only…) way to eat vegetables in January. Roasted vegetables to me scream warm and cozy.
And if we are being real for just a sec… Roasted vegetables to me are warm and cozy and tender and delicious and really just give me a fork and I will eat them ALL right off of the baking pan and be in pure dinnertime bliss.