A Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Cauliflower Soup is rich and creamy without the dairy or the gluten! This roasted vegetable soup is easy to make making it the perfect addition to any weeknight dinner. Warm up this fall with soup!
- 3 red bell peppers, washed, seeded and quartered
- 2 onions (medium size), peeled, trimmed and quartered (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, roughly chopped into florets (about 6–8 cups)
- 5 large cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cups no- or low-sodium vegetable stock (or use homemade), plus a little bit more for thinning the soup, if necessary
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or use 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mats.
- Arrange the quartered peppers skin side down on one baking sheet. Then arrange the cauliflower, onions and garlic on the other. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil over the cauliflower mixture and gentle toss to coat. (The red peppers don’t need any oil.)
- Roast both the red peppers and the cauliflower mixture in the oven for 20 minutes before flipping the red peppers and gently stirring the cauliflower mixture. Return to the oven for 10-15 more minutes or until the vegetables are tender and dark around the edges.
- Remove from the other and let cool slightly. (NOTE: If you want, you can remove the skins from the red peppers – Immediately transfer the roasted peppers to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. This allows the peppers to steam and helps to remove the skins. After about 10-15 minutes, carefully peel the skins away. – However, if you are using a high-speed blender I didn’t notice too much of a difference in taste or texture by leaving the skins on. So this step is your choice!) Reserve 4-6 cauliflower florets for garnishing the soup, if necessary.
- If you are using a high-speed blender or food processor: Puree the soup in 2 batches. Add half of the vegetables, half of the stock, the thyme, maple syrup, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (if using) to the blender or food processor. Blend until very smooth adding a little more stock if necessary to thin the soup to desired consistency. Transfer the soup to a large bowl or pot then repeat with remaining vegetables and stock. Mix the two batches together well. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- If you are using a hand blender or immersion blender: Transfer the roasted vegetables, stock, thyme, maple syrup, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (if using) to a large bowl or pot. Blend until very smooth. Add a little more stock if necessary to thin the soup to desired consistency. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve immediately or keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This recipe was inspired by Gal on a Mission’s Cauliflower Roasted Red Pepper Soup and my Creamy Cauliflower Soup.