These Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Quinoa Bowls are a quick and simple dinner recipe loaded with nothing but superfood ingredients! With this healthy recipe, dinner will be ready before you know it making it a great gluten free and vegetarian meal for any night of the week.
I’m bowl obsessed these days and Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Quinoa Bowls are NO exception.
I mean, why does everything in bowl-form taste so good?
Here, there’s just something about the fluffy quinoa, the roasted vegetables and lots and lots of mapley sauce all hanging out together in a bowl at dinnertime… and the bigger the bowl, the better!
This recipe is not just good, friends, it’s so good!
MAKING REAL FOOD EASY AND DELICIOUS WITH ROASTED BROCCOLI CHICKPEA QUINOA BOWLS…
This quinoa bowl recipe is made completely gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian-friendly and it’s so easy to make that dinner will be ready in just over 30 minutes.
Because who couldn’t use more quick and easy, super good-for-you dinners in their lives, right?!
What real food ingredients will you need to make this broccoli and chickpea quinoa recipe?
As the name implies, broccoli, chickpeas and quinoa are the real stars here. You’ll also need fresh parsley, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup and a touch of dried dill.
What else will you need to make this recipe?
- Baking sheet lined with a baking mat or parchment paper
- Medium-sized pot with a tight-fitting lid
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Mixing bowl
- Can opener
Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Quinoa Bowls are a quick and easy dinner option loaded with superfood ingredients! This healthy quinoa broccoli bowl recipe is made with roasted vegetables that are lightly sweetened maple syrup dressing, making it completely gluten free and vegetarian-friendly. It’s so easy to make that dinner will be ready in no-time or make it ahead of time for a delicious meal prep lunch all week long.
For the Bowl:
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed well and patted dry
- 1 small bunch of broccoli, cut into mini florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon oil (I like avocado oil here)
- Salt and Pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water or stock
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
For the Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1–2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- Garnish with extra parsley, sliced green onions, dried cranberries or raw pumpkin seeds
For the Bowl:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Transfer chickpeas and broccoli to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until chickpeas are crispy and broccoli is browned and tender, being sure to stir the broccoli mixture half way through.
- While the veggies are roasting, make the quinoa. Add quinoa to a medium-sized pot over high heat with 1 1/2 cups of water or stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and let quinoa cook until all the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let quinoa cool slightly.
For the Dressing:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the oil, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, salt and dill (if using) until smooth and consistent.
Assembling the bowl:
- Fold the slightly cooled quinoa into the dressing in the large mixing bowl. Add in about 1/3 of the roasted broccoli and chickpea mixture along with the chopped parsley and mix until well combined.
- For serving, portion quinoa into about 4 portions (or 2 very large portions) and topped each portion with remaining roasted broccoli and chickpeas. Garnish with sliced green onion, more parsley, dried cranberries or raw pumpkin seeds.
HOW TO MAKE THIS QUINOA BROCCOLI BOWL…
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! (I know I say that every week but I’m totally serious every single time!)
The base of this recipe is, of course, quinoa. Just the plain, white fluffy stuff works wonderfully here.
And you may have noticed that I have been loving quinoa for quite some time now (see here, here, and here for example) and I just can’t stop. And, to be honest, I don’t want to stop! Quinoa is by far my favourite grain (technically a seed, but still…) and I love it mostly for the fact that it cooks up so quickly in water or stock (just 12 minutes, people!) and for its chewy texture and nutty taste.
And, of course, there’s the broccoli. It’s roasted just slightly crispy… as if there is any other way to eat all the broccoli this time of year. It’s so simple, yet so good with just a touch of oil and salt and pepper.
I swear this bowl gets even better with chickpeas, roasted until crispy perfection.
The chickpeas are roasted along with the broccoli to make life easy and clean even easier. Roasting the chickpeas give them incredible texture and flavour and chew and they really take this quinoa bowl to delicious.
Do NOT skip out on the chickpeas.
Last, and not least, I have to talk about this dressing. If you’ve been along, you know I’m all about a good dressing/sauce/spread. I truly think a sauce can make or break your recipe. And this maple-dijon dressing totally ties the quinoa and roasted broccoli and crispy chickpeas together so well.
[Note: I have received a few comments about the dressing being too sweet and I wanted to touch on that… I do have a fairly sweet palate (meaning I like things on the sweet side rather than the acidic or salty or bitter side) so if you tend to not like things on the sweeter side of things start with ½ tablespoon of maple syrup in the dressing and add to taste from there.]
And if you liked this Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Quinoa Bowls recipe, you will LOVE this Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad, these Balsamic Honey Roasted Vegetables, and these Roasted Vegetable Grain Bowls.
AND PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
MORE ABOUT THIS CLEAN-EATING QUINOA AND BROCCOLI RECIPE WITH ROASTED CHICKPEAS…
Quick and EASY dinners are my jam right now…
The chocolate to my peanut butter. The mocha to my latte. The protein to my morning smoothie.
…You get the point.
Call it what you will, but I’m feeling a little out of balance these days. Between work and real life things like the mountain of dirty clothes in my laundry room, keeping up with the online course I’m taking right now and my social calendar (which normally is empty, so with things to do multiple times a week it’s a little weird for me), I feel like life have been totally crazy lately.
All of this to say, I have limited time for dinner making AND dinner eating these days. Which also means that my evening meal needs to be simple and ready pronto.
That’s why I love this broccoli chickpea quinoa bowl recipe so much. It’s fairly low maintenance and clean up yet super delicious and nutritious.
It’s recipes like this one that helps me keep real foods and clean eating a priority when my to-do list is too long to want to admit and life seems like more of a balancing act than anything else.
And I know what you’re thinking, we’re all busy, I get it! And I shouldn’t complain. But my point here is this…
You can be busy and have a hectic day or jammed-packed schedule this week AND you can still make the choice to choose real food. Sure, it’s a lot easier when you’re prepared (hello, meal planning and a little bit of weekend prep) or have a handful of super quick and easy recipes (like this one!!) but hearing people say they don’t have the time to eat healthy totally breaks my heart.
Don’t get me wrong… I tempted by take-out just as much as the next girl some nights (and some nights, take-out wins) but more often than not what we have for dinner is still rooted in caring about the ingredients I put into my body. Because when I eat good, I feel good. And when I feel good I am so much more likely to tackle that to-do list and social calendar head on (…as opposed to feeling so icky and bloated I don’t want to get off the couch).
So even though this is a super busy season of my life, I’m happy I’m able to make clean eating and real foods a priority and keep make better food choices more often.
I HOPE YOU LIKE THIS RECIPE AS MUCH AS I DO! IF YOU GIVE THIS BROCCOLI CHICKPEA QUINOA BOWLS RECIPE A TRY LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW AND BE SURE TO SHARE A PICTURE ON INSTAGRAM USING THE TAGS @ALWAYSNOURISHED AND #ALWAYSNOURISHEDFOOD. I LOVE TO SEE WHAT YOU’RE COOKING!
This Broccoli Chickpea Quinoa Bowls recipe was originally published in March 2016. The recipe and photos were updated in January 2018. Thank you for supporting Always Nourished and making recipes like this one possible!