Pecans are welcome to this pumpkin oatmeal party too. They fit right in.
The perfect (and healthy and gluten-free!!) breakfast to start off this sugar-filled, and scary day. And I made sure it was super easy to make with things you probably already have on hand because, for some, today is a BIG day.
Halloween is not my favourite. Never has been. And I am totally OK with that.
(We’re still friends right?)
But the one thing Halloween does have going for it that perhaps not any other day of the year does – pumpkin!! I will never tire of the orange squashy goodness. And I will never tire of all that pumpkiny glory baked right inside my oatmeal. And then sprinkled with pumpkin seeds and pumpkin pie spice blend and a little maple. The perfect breakfast treat for today and any day.
It’s warm and cozy and adapted from my Gluten Free Healthy Baked Oatmeal with that lovely berry sauce so you know it’s going to be a good one!
Healthy oats, rich pumpkin and a lot of that pumpkin spice that I just oh so love! And then it’s drizzled with a little of that pure maple syrup and raw pumpkin seeds.
- 3 cups oats, gluten free certified (I used 2 cups rolled oats and 1 cup quick oats)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (each) ginger, nutmeg, allspice
- Pinch (each) clove and salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (dairy or non-dairy both work)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup sugar (organic cane sugar is best)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Raw pumpkin seeds, pecans, maple syrup, extra cinnamon, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease an 8×11 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or oil.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, clove and salt. Set aside.
- In a second large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin, sugar and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Transfer batter to the prepared baking dish and bake for 28-30 minutes until golden brown around the edges and just firm to the touch.
- Serve warm with toppings of your choice.
Nutritional information does not include toppings.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Recipe updated September 2016.