These Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Pretzel Energy Bites are a seriously delicious and easy-to-make granola-like snack that are sure to be a hit with everyone! They make the perfect afternoon snack, simple dessert or game-day party food that everyone can enjoy.
Pretty chocolate drizzle and all!!
These Peanut Butter Pretzel Energy Bites have it going on. I mean, the perfect flavour combination – pretzels, peanut butter, honey, chocolate! All in one delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free and no-bake bite!
Does it get any better than that!?
Afternoon snacking, after-dinner dessert, or a sweet and salty bite while watching the game (or the Bachelor because that’s more my style), these bites are just too good to have just one.
MORE ABOUT THESE PEANUT BUTTER PRETZEL ENERGY BITES…
These balls start with some runny, natural smooth peanut butter. I always use my homemade peanut butter (which is so easy to make, by the way!!) but any natural peanut butter will do. I haven’t tried this recipe with a crunchy peanut butter but as long as your peanut butter is runny I’m sure it would do the trick.
The gluten-free pretzels are definitely the start of the show here. You can find gluten-free pretzels in the snack section of the Organic/Wellness/Gluten Free section of your grocery store. They taste pretty similar to regular pretzels but with a little more crunch. All you need is 1 cup of crushed or roughly chopped pretzels, so chances are you’ll have enough pretzels leftover to snack on later too.
I added some chia seeds too. Not a crucial part of the energy bites but why not add more super seeds to your diet wherever you can!! #amiright?!
There are 2 types of oats in this recipe – quick oats and oat flour. The oat flour is a must and does a great job and keeping each bite soft and chewy and keeping them together. I prefer quick oats here rather than the bulkier rolled oats for just that reason – they are less bulky. Rolled oats give these balls too much chew and texture but if rolled is all you have just pulse them in the food processor or blender a couple times to break them down a little bit.
And the chocolate!! As if there was a peanut butter ball recipe without the chocolate!! I used dark chocolate here – a chunk of an unflavoured dark chocolate bar to be exact – melted with a little bit of coconut oil. You can add as little or as much chocolate to each bite as you would like or do no chocolate at all. I went heavy on the chocolate for most of these bits and I think it was a pretty good decision.
And don’t forget to finish each ball with a pinch or sprinkle of coarse sea salt too. The sea salt really brings the pretzel and the peanut butter and the chocolate all together into one seriously delicious bite.
This recipe was inspired and modified from my Toasted Coconut Almond Energy Bites recipe (AKA my personal favourite recipe of 2016!!) and I definitely think I see more quick and easy energy bites coming to the blog soon – I’m obsessed!!Print
These Gluten Free Peanut Butter Pretzel Energy Bites are a seriously delicious and easy to make granola-like bite that are sure to be a hit with everyone! They make the perfect afternoon snack, simple dessert or game-day party food that everyone can enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free quick oats
- 1 cup crushed gluten free pretzels (or roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup gluten free oat flour (made from ground oats)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey (or use maple syrup for vegan option)
- 1/2 cup runny, natural peanut butter (or use homemade)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate (from your favourite unflavoured dark chocolate bar)*
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil*
- Course sea salt
- In a small mixing bowl combine oats, crushed or chopped pretzels, oat flour and chia seeds. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine honey and peanut butter. Mix well. Fold in the oat and pretzel mixture and continue to mix until very well combined. (If you find the mixture is a little to dry and oats aren’t being evenly coated with the honey mixture you can add a little more honey to achieve the right consistency. Similarly, if the mixture is too wet and sticky you can add some more oat flour a tablespoon at a time.)
- Take a tablespoon (or use a cookie scoop) of the dough and tightly roll and pack the oat mixture into a ball. Place the ball on a lined baking sheet. Continue until all of the oat mixture is gone.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine chocolate and coconut oil and microwave for a minute or so, stirring every 15 seconds, until smooth and melted.
- Take a teaspoon of the melted chocolate and drizzle it over each ball, giving each ball as much or as little chocolate as desired.
- Sprinkle a little bit of course sea salt on top of each bite.
- Place the baking sheet of energy bites to the freezer to set for about 20 minutes before transferring the bites to an air-tight container in the fridge. (If you aren’t going to eat the bites right away, you can keep them in the freezer until you need them making them a great make-ahead snack!)
*Chocolate drizzle is optional but highly recommended.
This recipe yields about 20 bites, but will vary depending on size.
Prep time listed does not include freezer time.
- Prep Time: 20