Healthy, No-Bake Peanut Butter and Jelly Energy Bites are so easy to make with peanut butter, honey, dried blueberries and cranberries, chia seeds, oats, hemp seeds and LOVE! This gluten free, clean eating snack recipe tastes just like peanut butter cookie dough and can also be a delicious breakfast or dessert too!
It’s been a hot minute since my last energy bite/energy ball/bundle of complete deliciousness recipe. And friends, let me just say, SO. WORTH. THE. WAIT.
Side Note: Does anyone still say that? Hot minute? Hot second? I don’t know…
These energy bites are pretty much peanut butter cookie dough meets chewy dried fruit meets nutritious and delicious snack. It’s perfection.
I will pretty much always have a batch of some sort of energy bite (OK fine – two or three or four) in the freezer for when I need a quick breakfast/snack/dessert because they are just SO easy.
These require no blender, no food processor or any other magic appliance or tool. Maybe a pot and a stove top if your honey and nut butter of choice aren’t in their runniest form (ie. a hard blob in the bottom of the jar). But other than that, these energy balls (AKA: energy bites. AKA: granola bites. AKA: granola balls. AKA: pure awesomeness when it comes to snacking that can be called many different things.) come together real quick, which means you can get to snacking or breakfast or dessert even sooner!
Healthy No-Bake Peanut Butter Jelly Energy Bites are so easy to make with peanut butter, honey, dried blueberries and cranberries, chia seeds, oats, hemp seeds and LOVE! This gluten free, clean eating snack recipe tastes just like peanut butter cookie dough and can also be a delicious breakfast too!
- 1/2 cup runny peanut butter (or other runny nut butter of choice like almond butter)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (optional but recommended)
- 1 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries (I’ve used a combination of dried blueberries, cranberries and cherries from this brand)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (optional but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional but recommended)
- In a large mixing bowl stir peanut butter, honey and melted coconut oil together until smooth. (If they aren’t combining well or if your nut butter isn’t super runny add some heat. Set up a double boiler – place (heat-safe) mixing bowl on top of gently boiling water, being sure the water isn’t coming in contact with the bowl. As the peanut butter and honey heat up they will combine together beautifully.)
- Add the salt and vanilla to the sweet peanut butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in the quick oats, oat flour, dried fruit, hemp seeds and chia seeds until evenly combined. (If you find the mixture is a little to dry and oats aren’t being evenly coated with the peanut butter mixture you can add a little more honey to achieve the right consistency. Similarly, if the mixture is too wet and sticky you can add a little more oat flour.)
- Taking a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, measure out a scoop and tightly roll and pack the oat mixture into a 1-inch ball. Place the ball on a lined baking sheet. Continue until all of the oat mixture is gone.
- Place the baking sheet of energy bites to the freezer to set for about 20 minutes before transferring the bites to an air-tight container in the fridge. (If you aren’t going to eat the bites right away, you can keep them in the freezer until you need them making them a great make-ahead snack!)
Prep time does not include chill time in the freezer.
At room temperature these energy bites become very soft so it’s best to keep them refrigerated.
*You can purchase oat flour from most health food store or bulk stores. Oat flour is essentially ground up oats so you can easily make your own in a pinch. Add quick or rolled oats to a blend or food processor and blend until a fine powder forms.
**Sometimes dried cranberries and cherries can be relatively large so I like to finely chop them. This allows the balls to stick together better.
- Serving Size: 1 bite
MORE ABOUT THESE PEANUT BUTTER JELLY ENERGY BITES
I am SO, SO, SO excited to share this recipe with you! Kind of because I don’t like sharing, so please make your own. And kind of because these are really THAT good and a recipe I think everyone should keep in their back-pocket when it comes to eating more healthy snacks throughout the day. So let’s break it down…
These peanut butter and jelly energy bites do have a secret ingredient that makes them next level delicious.
(drum roll….) It’s oat flour.
These balls are ALL about the oat flour. Oat flour is a must. Do not forget the oat flour. It’s the oat flour that gives these energy balls their wonderful, fantastic and totally addicting cookie dough-like feel/texture/taste. Soft and smooth and chewy and MEGA yum!
Then add your standard energy bite ingredients – peanut butter (natural peanut butter always!), raw honey, sea salt (because peanut butter and sea salt are BFFs), vanilla if you wish, oats, hemp seeds and chia seeds and my most favourite dried fruits like blueberries, cranberries and cherries. I also add coconut oil here because more healthy fats FTW.
But let’s go back to the dried fruit part for a sec. I love ALL the dried fruit from Patience Fruit and Co. (This isn’t a sponsored post, I just really love their products and want you to know about them!!) Naturally sweetened, still soft and moist (I had to say it – I’m sorry!!) and organic.
The only real trick to rolling out peanut butter energy balls of goodness is if you’re nut butter or honey isn’t quite runny enough. It’s an easy fix – just add the PB, honey and coconut oil into a heat-safe bowl on top of a pot of simmer water and gently stir until melted and smooth. Then add all the other ingredients into the melty mess of PB and honey.
It’s just that easy!