No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispy Squares made with homemade peanut butter and dark chocolate combined with honey and crispy brown rice in the perfect snack bar.
So, I tried something over the weekend. And by something, I mean these Peanut Butter Chocolate Squares.
P.S.- Joshua hates it when I start my sentences with So. Most of the time I don’t realize I do it. So is to me what um is to most people. But sometimes I do it on purpose just to bug him in a hilarious joking around kind of way. Well, more hilarious to me and not so much to him kind of way. He also can’t stand it when I start a sentence with P.S. when I am nowhere near post script anything. But I still do it. I know, I am the worst fiancé ever! But he loves me anyway.
He especially loves me when I experiment with homemade peanut butter, dark chocolate, honey and crispy brown rice on gloomy Sundays and come up with the most fantastic, I need to make this every day, ahhhhh-mazing snack bars ever.
MORE ABOUT THESE PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CRISPY SQUARES….
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispy Squares are essentially the traditional rice krispie squares modernized to the max with the dreamy and delicious addition of peanut butter and chocolate instead of all the marshmallows and butter.
I mean, what is not to love about peanut butter and chocolate?!
Ok – I’m not going to lie – marshmallows are not my thing. I don’t know what it is. But the truth is they kind of gross me out. They are way to sweet, way too gooey, way too artificial, way too spongy and soft. They hurt my teeth with all their sugar. And because of the marshmallow situation, I have never really been a fan of the traditional rice krispie treat.
(We can still be friends, right?)
So, of course, here I opted to leave out the marshmallow and sub in homemade peanut butter and dark chocolate chips instead. I am in heaven – Peanut Butter and Chocolate heaven.
Because I really wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. And I am never leaving.
Joshua and I inhaled this plate of crispy squares. And thus, I will warn you… they may be a teensy bit addictive.
These bars need to set in the fridge, which is probably the hardest part of the recipe – the waiting!! But it is so worth it! They are so crisp but so creamy all at the same time. They are sweet but not too sweet and with all that natural sweetness from the honey and extra protein from the peanut butter they are a pretty good gluten free afternoon snack, if I do say so myself.
I think you will love ‘em!Print
Peanut butter and chocolate swirled into a slightly healthier take on the traditional crispy rice squares.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup smooth, natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup mild flavour, natural honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups gluten free brown crispy rice cereal
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Lightly grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large to medium pot over medium low heat, melt butter then add in peanut butter, honey and vanilla and heat, continually stirring, until peanut butter is warm and very runny, about 3 minutes.
- Add cereal and stir until evenly coated in the peanut butter mixture. When cereal is evenly coated, let cool in the pot for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chocolate chips to the slightly cooled cereal and continue to stir until the chocolate chips start to melt and swirl into the peanut butter.
- Transfer the cereal mixture from the pot to the prepared pan. Using a piece of parchment paper laid overtop of the pan, press the cereal firmly into the pan.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours until the cereal is set and the peanut butter is firm. Cut into squares and enjoy!