Lightened-Up French Onion Dip is the ultimate in party dips. Sweet, caramelized onions blended with a tangy and creamy greek yogurt base is sure to be a hit when served with chips or veggies.
You need to try this dip!
I mean, how can you resist sweet, caramelized onions seasoned with garlic and a little sweetness then blended into tangy (and protein-packed) greek yogurt and topped with more sweet and caramelized onions?
French Onion Dip at it’s absolute most deliciousness!
And I can think of no better time to be sharing my favourite party dip with you. I mean, it’s the holiday season which means holiday parties – and lots of them.
And holiday parties most likely means a huge assortment of party food. And party food means cheese boards, fruit trays and everything that goes along with chips and dips.
And friends, this lightened-up french onion dip is definitely a dip worthy of a party.
MORE ABOUT THIS LIGHTENED-UP FRENCH ONION DIP RECIPE…
Although the onions do take a little while to caramelize and cook up, overall this dip is pretty easy to make. Cook, blend, serve. Easy, right?
The ingredient list is super simple and you probably already have everything you need in your pantry or fridge already! Onions, garlic and herbs, a little bit of sugar, greek yogurt – it’s crazy how a few simple ingredients can be turned into something so tasty.
Yep – something so tasty and packed with so much sweet and delicious oniony flavour. So much flavour and goodness that no one will ever guess that it’s lightened up or gluten free or super easy to make either (which is definitely my favourite part!!).
The hardest and most outrageous part of this dip? Letting it chill in the fridge before it’s ready to serve. Longest 2 hours ever!! But so worth it in the end because those very long 120 minutes is when all the magic happens and the flavours mingle and get to know each other.
Magic, I tell ya!
Best served with your chips, crackers, toasts or veggie sticks.Print
A Lightened-Up French Onion Dip recipe that’s easy to make, healthy and gluten free! This onion dip is seasoned with garlic, parsley and tamari then blended with greek yogurt and topped with more onions.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 large onions, sliced (about 3 cups sliced onion)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley (plus more for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- 1 cup plain 0% greek yogurt
- In a large skillet or frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions, stirring to coat the onions in the oil. Cover the pan and cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until tender and just starting to brown, about 30 minutes.
- When the onions are tender, stir in the sugar, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, parsley, and tamari. Cook for another 10-15 minutes more uncovered until the onions are golden brown and very sweet.
- Remove from heat and allow onions to cool until just warm. You should have about 1 cup of onions.
- Add cooled onions and remaining tablespoon of oil to a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until smooth, saving about 1/4 cup of the onions as a garnish for on top if you’d like.
- Add the yogurt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt (or to taste; maybe a pinch more sugar to taste as well) and blended until smooth.
- Transfer the dip to a bowl, topped with the remaining caramelized onions and let chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Garnish with a sprinkle of dried parsley before serving.
Prep and Cook times do not include cooling or chilling times.