A Honey Lemon Roasted Asparagus recipe made healthy and delicious with fresh asparagus roasted with a drizzle of honey and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Because roasted asparagus tastes so good drizzled with honey and lemon.
Honey Lemon Roasted Asparagus is a super easy and delicious way to prepare this fabulous springtime veggie. Move-over boring steamed asparagus, tender-crisp spears with honey and lemon are the perfect side dish ready in about 30 minutes.
Because nothing is better than delicious vegetables in April. And nothing is better than a healthy and gluten free side dish for that delicious dinner you are making tonight!
I love the simplicity of this healthier veggie side dish. It’s just so wholesome and just so good. The honey, because a little sweetness makes anything just that much better. The lemon, because bright lemon goes so well with all the green things. The slightly spicy black pepper, a little extra lemon juice or maybe a sprinkle of parmesan for serving – it’s the perfect addition to any dinner.
There aren’t too many things that make me happier than vegetables. I am talking about fresh, locally grown produce. I’m talking about the vegetables that actually still taste and feel like vegetables… and weren’t sourced from thousands of miles away. I do live in Canada, you guys, and this is a serious issue in the dead of winter for me. Some vegetables I buy in the grocery store just don’t taste like vegetables. And fruit? Let’s not even go there. Summer I cannot wait for you and all the delicious produce that you bring!
MORE ABOUT THIS HONEY LEMON ROASTED ASPARAGUS RECIPE: TIPS AND TRICKS
If you have never tried oven-roasting your asparagus, you are missing out! Seriously.
Roasted Vegetables of any kind are just delicious and pretty much make my day. But there is something I just absolutely love about roasted asparagus. Like, how crispy the tips get while the stalks remain a little tender crisp when fresh asparagus is slowly roasted in the oven. And then add honey and lemon in the mix?! Yes, please!
The first step to really, really good roasted asparagus is to wash, dry and then trim your spears well. The drying to part is pretty key – any extra moisture on the asparagus will cause these stalky greens to start steaming rather than roasting which will get your asparagus cooking faster but also make them too soft and, dare I say, mushy. As for the trimming part, you just want to remove the woody ends of each spear. (This is a great tutorial on Asparagus trimmings HERE)
And then just a little bit of everything else goes a long way. I use only a teaspoon oil, just a pinch of salt and just a teaspoon of honey. I originally wanted to add much more honey here – and if you love the sweet, you can definitely go for it – but just the slightest hint of sweet really brings out the true flavours of the asparagus.
Try this honey lemon asparagus beside your next pasta or, one of my absolute favourites, risotto.Print
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, washed, trimmed and patted dry (I used 2 small bunches)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Optional for serving: a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, extra lemon juice, additional salt and pepper, fresh herbs
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Place the trimmed asparagus on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil. Roll the asparagus spears through the oil until each is equally covered in the oil. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Shake the pan gently to rotate the asparagus to make sure the spears are stuck to the pan.
- Season with a big pinch of salt and pepper then drizzle with honey and lemon juice. Gentle toss or roll the asparagus spears around on the tray to coat and return to the oven and roast for 5 minutes more.
- Serve immediately with garnish with additional lemon juice, salt and pepper or parmesan cheese or fresh herbs.