A healthy Puttanesca Pasta recipe. A tasty homemade tomato sauce with olives, garlic, basil, anchovy and spinach served over your favourite type of pasta. A delicious dinner can be made in just minutes!
- 3/4 lb pasta, I like spaghetti here but you can use you favourite cut
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 5 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- scant 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes, or more if you like it hot!!
- 2 1/2 cups homemade tomato basil sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives, pits removed
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- a BIG handful baby spinach (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup basil
- Fresh ground pepper, cooked pasta of choice and plain goat cheese, for serving
- Cook pasta according to box directions (in salted boiling water for about 12 minutes)
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook garlic, anchovy and chili flakes until really fragrant, about a minute.
- Stir tomato sauce into the skillet, making sure to scrap any garlic bits stuck to the bottom of the pan off into the sauce, until well incorporated.
- Add olives and chickpeas to the pan and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until warm through.
- When pasta is just about done, remove about 1/3 cup of starchy cooking liquid from the pasta pot and add to the sauce in the skillet. Stir to incorporate and add spinach, basil and fresh ground pepper.
- Drain the pasta then transfer it to the skillet of sauce. Remove skillet from heat and stir until pasta is well coated in the sauce.
- Serve with a dollop of plain goat cheese and another sprinkling of fresh ground pepper.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes