Healthy Potato Nachos with All.The.Toppings.
Today we are doing a healthier take on the traditional nacho. These Potato Nachos (or Potachos… Yes? No.) use a batch of my crispy Oven Baked Potato Wedges which are then loaded with gooey cheese, tomatoes, green onions, jalapeños and fresh cilantro, drizzled with a creamy avocado sauce and served with a side of fruity salsa for dipping.
It’s the ultimate in all I really want is to eat chips and cheese for dinner… but in a healthier and definitely more tasty and better for you way.
Think loaded baked potato meets veggie-nachos meets very casual summertime dinner done gluten free and vegetarian and so delicious!
Today is a pretty special occasion, friends. And an occasion that deserves nothing but the finest snacks, apps, bevvies and, of course, the biggest potato nacho plate with all of the toppings going. Today we are celebrating Izzy of She Likes Food! Izzy is expecting her first baby and the food-blogging world is coming together to celebrate in a really big and tasty way.
If you don’t know Izzy, you have to go check her out over at She Likes Food. Izzy takes some of the most colourful and beautiful food photos going and her recipes always have my mouth watering and my stomach insisting that I get into the kitchen to make her latest creation ASAP! Her recipes focus mainly on gluten free and veggie-friendly ingredients and this girl loves her Mexican cuisine… So, of course, when I was invited to participate in her virtual baby shower I just knew I need to make something with a little Mexico-flare.
MORE ABOUT THESE HEALTHY POTATO NACHOS
A good potato nacho starts with a good potato base. I love my crispy baked potato wedges here. They are so crispy on the outside and so tender on the inside. They are a must! You won’t regret it!
I sprinkled a little cheese on top of the potatoes (I like a blend of cheddar and mozzarella) and then stuck the pan back in the oven for a couple minutes to get that cheese bubbly and brown. Of course, you can use as much or as little cheese as you like.
As for the toppings – totally customizable to what you like and what you happen to have in the kitchen today. I like the traditional tomatoes, green onions and some little spicy jalapeños here. Corn kernels, black beans, shredded lettuce, red onions or sour cream would also be delicious on top.
Then drizzle with tons of that creamy avocado sauce! It’s creamy and a little tangy and goes perfectly with the potato wedges and all that cheese. I always serve with a side of salsa.Print
- 1 batch Oven Baked Potato Wedges
- 1/4 cup grated cheese (I like a cheddar and mozzarella blend), or more to taste
- 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped or leaves left whole
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- Salsa, for serving
- Optional or Additional Toppings: corn kernels, black beans, sour cream, red onion, shredded lettuce
- Prepare the Potato Wedges following the recipe at – https://www.nourishedtheblog.com/oven-baked-potato-wedges/
- Keep oven set at 400F. Arrange potato wedges into a single layer either on the same baking sheet or in a oven-safe skillet.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the wedges. Bake the cheesy potatoes in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and just starting to brown.
- While the cheese is melting in the oven, make the creamy avocado sauce by mashing 1 avocado with the lime juice and salt until smooth. Stir in the greek yogurt. Season with additional salt or lime, if needed. For an easy drizzle, transfer the avocado sauce into a squeeze bottle. Otherwise, this sauce can be spooned over top of the potato nachos or left on the side for dipping.
- When the cheese is melted, sprinkle the tomatoes, jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, or toppings of choice, all over the nachos. Squeeze or spoon the avocado sauce on top.
- Serve immediately with a side of salsa.
Happy Virtual Baby Shower Day, Izzy!
And the celebration continues. You have to check these out!
Hoecakes with Blueberry Lemon Compote from Making Thyme for Health
Mini Phyllo Strawberry Brie Bites from Flavor the Moments
Veggie and Pesto Flatbread Pizza from Cook Nourish Bliss
GF Blackberry Greek Yogurt Cake from Whisk & Shout
Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Brownies from Foodie Loves Fitness
Paleo Tres Leches Cake from The Roasted Root
Rosemary Lemonade Popsicles from Vanilla and Bean
Roasted Cauliflower with Yogurt Sauce (Zahra) from Fox and Briar
Mini Berry Tarts (Paleo, Gluten Free & Vegan) from Bakerita