A bright and simple Healthy Carrot Ginger Soup with a whole lot of gingery kick! This vegan and gluten free soup is the perfect soup to warm up to.
I don’t know about you guys but this bright and beautiful orange soup is taking over my life.
And, well, actually it kind of is. There is a lot of this Healthy Carrot Ginger Soup in my fridge at the moment. Like, there really isn’t room for too much else. But I am totally cool with that. In fact, it’s definitely preferred.
And yes, I do realize that this is, like, my twentieth soup recipe in 2 months. But it’s fall and it’s getting cold outside and we all need something a little more comforting to ease us into that W-word.
That. And I really couldn’t wait any longer to share this healthy soup with you. it brightens my day… literally.
You will absolutely love this soup if: you like eating insanely brightly coloured foods, if you have an insane amount of carrots leftover from your garden this summer (or if you were just at the market and bought the biggest bag of carrots ever just because it was such a great deal) that need to be used up, if you crave that gingery-spice on the regular or if you go crazy for silky smooth purees. (Please, tell me I am not the only one! Because I have also been loving this one and this one lately too.)
This soup is nothing if not simple. Using less than 10 ingredients, only 9 to be specific because oil, salt and pepper are freebies, that you probably already have on hand, this soup is ready in less than 1 hour.
MORE ABOUT THIS HEALTHY CARROT GINGER SOUP RECIPE
What’s not to love, friends?!
I love the insane gingery-kick this soup develops after it has sat in the fridge overnight. I don’t know what exactly happens in there but it is amazing. That gingery-spice is the reason I drink Ginger Beer and not gingerale and is the reason why I am absolutely obsessed with these things! (PS – you need to try those things!!)
And this soup is an ONE-POT soup. All this orangey goodness comes from a single pot.
I mean, everything goes into the pot, it’s pureed in the pot and I may or may not have eaten this soup straight from the pot as well. Things don’t really get any easier than that.
And we all know what an ONE-POT dish means… you’ll be able to spend less time doing dishes and more time eating and enjoying everything this soup has to offer. #winwin
And if this simple carrot soup hasn’t already won over our hearts, if it completely vegan and gluten free. Only the good stuff, people. It’s creamy without the cream. It’s rich without the fat or the calories. It’s so flavourful without any extra effort. It’s just good.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (from 1 onion)
- 1 cup celery, dry ends removed and chopped (from 2 stalks)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried, ground ginger (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 7-8 cups carrots, peeled and roughly chopped (from about 7-8 carrots)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (homemade is best)
- 2 cups water (plus more for thinning, if needed)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, agave (or honey if not vegan)
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery and carrots to the pot and cook until the onions are just translucent but not browning, about 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, ginger and the salt and pepper and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the carrots to the pot along with the stock and water. Stir to incorporate and then bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook until carrots are very tender, 20 minutes.
- Puree the vegetables together with an emersion blender in the pot (or blend in batches using a food processor or blender). When the soup is silky smooth (aim for 3-5 minutes with the emersion blender – the smoother the better here!). If you find the consistency of the soup too thick, add 1/2 cup of water at a time while still blending until you reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in the maple syrup. Season with salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve immediately.