This Healthy Green Goddess Smashed Chickpea Sandwich recipe makes for the perfect lunch. Made with chickpeas, creamy green goddess dressing and lots of veggies, this sandwich is best served with lots of melty cheese on top!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry (about 2 cups of chickpeas)
- 1/3 cup Healthy Green Goddess Dressing, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped vegetables (onions, celery, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, kale – whatever you have on hand)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bread (use your favourite gluten free sandwich bread)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a combination of cheddar and mozzarella; or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat for easy clean-up.
- In a mixing bowl add the chickpeas. Using a potato masher or a fork, start to roughly mash the chickpeas, leaving some chickpeas whole for lots of texture. Add the dressing, chopped veggies and lemon juice, stirring until well combined. If the chickpea mixture seems to dry, add a little bit more dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place bread on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes until the top side of the bread is golden brown and… toasty. (Keep a close eye because most gluten free breads goes from nicely toasted to burnt in a matter of seconds!!)
- Remove from oven, flip bread so the golden brown side is down and top each slice with equal amounts of the chickpea salad and shredded cheese.
- Return the bread to the oven and bake for another 7 minutes or so until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the chickpea mash is just warm inside.
- Serve immediately.
The chickpea mash can be kept in the fridge and then assembled into a sandwich as needed.