A simple and easy-to-make recipe for Gluten Free Peppermint Brownies made super chocolatey with the perfect touch of peppermint. A crowd-pleasing festive holiday treat!
Brownies made completely gluten-free (and dairy-free too!) using simple, real ingredients with a peppermint-y kick.
Made with oat flour, coconut oil, melted dark chocolate AND cocoa powder, and just a touch of peppermint extract, these are some good peppermint brownies. Best topped with more minty chocolate and sprinkles!
Talk about the perfect festive holiday dessert!
I know! I can’t believe it’s December. I mean, 2015 where did you go?
The holiday season is officially upon us, which means I am full-out in baking mode. T’is the season for cookies, cookies, more cookies and chocolate. And today it’s chocolate in the form of brownies with a minty twist.
MORE ABOUT THESE PEPPERMINT BROWNIES…
These brownies are dense and delicious. I am a huuuuge fan of dense, fudgy, super chocolatey brownies and THESE brownies are totally my jam.
With just a touch of peppermint. Because peppermint and chocolate are a perfect (and festive!) combination.
I used pure peppermint extract here. (It’s readily available in the baking section of the grocery store or at any specialty or health food store.) And a little goes a long way. You can of course play around with the amounts depending on whether you want a subtle peppermint brownie or an in-your-face peppermint brownie. I, personally, like the peppermint level of my brownies somewhere in the middle.
The peppermint extract is combined with melted dark chocolate and coconut oil and I swear I could drink that melty chocolate-coconut-peppermint mixture with a straw!
And then these brownies are baked, cooled completely and then topped with even more melty chocolate-coconut-peppermint goodness! And sprinkles. Because festive isn’t festive without red, green and white sprinkles. (Or I bet crushed candy cane would be delish too!)
My best brownie secret, you ask? Use a loaf pan. Seriously. A loaf pan gives a thick, super dense brownie – which is how brownies should be!! This recipe made in an 8×8 baking dish yields a thin, not-so-dense brownie. We definitely preferred the thicker brownies.Print
A simple and easy to make recipe for Gluten Free Peppermint Brownies made super chocolatey with the perfect touch of peppermint. A crowd-pleasing festive holiday treat!
For the Brownies:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate (about 1/4 of a dark chocolate bar or 40g)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar (I prefer organic cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1/2 cup chocolate (either dark chocolate, milk chocolate or a combination of both; about 75g)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (or more to taste)
- Festive sprinkles, for garnish (optional)
For the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 325F and spray a 8×4 loaf pan with cooking spray or oil.
- In a microwave safe mixing bowl, heat coconut oil, peppermint extract and chocolate in the microwave for about 45 minutes until just melted. Stir to combine and keep stirring until all the chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool slightly. (The chocolate needs to be just melted or just warm to the touch.)
- In a second bowl, combine cocoa powder, sugar, gluten free oat flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- When the chocolate is just cool to the touch, fold in the egg. (The chocolate mixture should have the consistency of chocolate pudding when the egg is adding.) Whisk in the almond milk.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 26-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- Let brownies cool completely in the pan before removing.
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- When the brownies are cool, you can either cut the brownies in to 8 squares and glaze each brownie individually or cut after glazing. (I thought it was much easier to glaze each brownie on its own.)
- In a microwave safe dish, add the chocolate, coconut oil and peppermint. Microwave for 45 minutes until mostly melted. Stir to combine and ensure all chocolate is melted.
- Spread the chocolate glaze over top of each brownie square. Garnish with sprinkles.
- Let chocolate set completely before serving.
Cook time and prep times do not include cooling time. [br][br]To speed up chocolate setting time, place brownies in the freezer for up to 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes