A healthy and easy to make recipe for my favourite breakfast on-the-go, Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins! Made with oats, banana, greek yogurt and chocolate chips for a nutritious breakfast treat.
- 1 cup oat flour (GF-certified)
- 1/2 cup oats (GF-certified; I used a combination of both rolled and quick oats)*
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 ground flax
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus a few more for sprinkling on top; you could also use pecans or walnuts, blueberries or raspberries instead)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar (I prefer organic, unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon oil (try coconut, olive or avocado oil or butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas (from 2 large bananas)
- Preheat oven to 325F and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with muffin cups.
- In a mixing bowl combine oat flour, oats, tapioca flour, flax, baking soda, salt, cinnamon (if using) and chocolate chips together. Set aside.
- In a second, larger mixing bowl whisk together egg, sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture in 2 additions and stirring just until flour mixture is just incorporated.
- Portion batter equally to all muffin cups and bake 20-23 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a muffin. DO NOT OVER BAKE.
- Let muffins rest for 5 minutes or so in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
*Use rolled oats for lots of texture and quick oats for a fluffy, more delicate muffin.
Nutrition information is for 12 muffins and doesn’t include any extra chocolate chip garnish on top.