A healthy and easy-to-make recipe for my favourite breakfast on-the-go, Gluten-Free Banana Oat Muffins! Made with oats, banana, greek yogurt and chocolate chips for a nutritious breakfast treat.
Lately, these Banana Oat Muffins have been my go-to when I need a quick breakfast or sweet afternoon snack during the week. And they always turn out ah-maaaaazing each and every time I make them. Moist and banana-y, just like banana bread, hearty and filling, just like a bowl of oatmeal, tender but not overly cakey, like a muffin should be.
These banana-y oat muffins are oh-so gluten-free and also really easy to make with REAL ingredients that you probably already have on hand. #winwin
What else can a girl ask for in her breakfast?
Enter the life-saving Gluten-Free Banana Oat Muffin. Best if wrapped in pretty little bows… or at least a classic paper muffin cup.
MORE ABOUT THESE GLUTEN-FREE BANANA OAT MUFFINS
Disclaimer: When I want a muffin, I want a muffin! I’m not looking for cake disguised as a muffin. I’m looking for a real, true, good for you, hearty muffin.
With that said, I loooove these wholesome, glutenless muffins. Packed with whole grain oats, fruit (Hello, bananas!), protein from the yogurt and only minimal unrefined cane sugar, these are a great way to start your day!!
Or to end your day, #breakfastfordessert anyone? Because these muffins are pretty much the best any time of day.
And I really like that these muffins still taste great no matter what extra surprises you stir in. Don’t like chocolate in your muffins? Try blueberries or raspberry, dried cranberries or raisins, walnuts or pecans or even shredded coconut! I’m sticking with that chocolate, though. The Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips are my fav. They are delicious and wonderful and made with only 2 ingredients! What is not to love about that!
These muffins freeze really well too. (I know, I know – easy peasy customizable muffins that freeze well too! I just can’t. even.) So whenever I make these muffins I always make a double batch and kept the extras in the freezer for later… Or, like, tomorrow.Print
A healthy and easy to make recipe for my favourite breakfast on-the-go, Gluten Free Banana Oat Muffins! Made with oats, banana, greek yogurt and chocolate chips for a nutritious breakfast treat.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup oats (I used a combination of both rolled and quick oats)*
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 ground flax
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (plus a few more for sprinkling on top; you could also use pecans or walnuts, blueberries or raspberries instead)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar (I prefer organic, unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon oil (try coconut, olive or avocado oil or butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas (from 2 large bananas)
- Preheat oven to 325F and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with muffin cups.
- In a mixing bowl combine oat flour, oats, tapioca flour, flax, baking soda, salt, cinnamon (if using) and chocolate chips together. Set aside.
- In a second, larger mixing bowl whisk together egg, sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture in 2 additions and stirring just until flour mixture is just incorporated.
- Portion batter equally to all muffin cups and bake 20-23 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of a muffin. DO NOT OVER BAKE.
- Let muffins rest for 5 minutes or so in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
*Use rolled oats for lots of texture and quick oats for a fluffy, more delicate muffin.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes