For the Waffles:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, gluten free certified if needed
- 1/2 cup almond flour, extra fine (also known as almond meal)
- 1/2 cup oat flour, gluten free certified if needed
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I recommend organic cane sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil (I love avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk (almond, soy, cow, etc)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dark, milk, white or combination)
For the Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (the 35% stuff)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Sliced bananas (or strawberries would be good too), serving
- Preheat waffle maker and adjust settings according to instruction manual. Preheat oven to 225F and line a baking sheet with a non-stick, oven safe cooling rack.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, almond flour, oat flour, tapioca flour, ground flax, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing until well incorporated and lumps are present.
- Generously spray waffle maker grills with cooking spray or oil (I love my Misto for this!). Add batter and cook waffles according to your waffle maker’s instruction manual. (I have a smaller waffle maker so I add 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of batter and cook for 4 minutes.) Keep cooked waffle in the oven on the prepared baking sheet until ready to serve.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up.
- While the waffles are cooking, prepare the chocolate whipped cream. Add heavy cream, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla to a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer on medium-high speed, beat the cream mixture until stiff peaks form, scraping the sides of the bowl, if needed. Set aside.
- Serve waffles immediately with sliced fruit and chocolate whipped cream.
- Leftover waffles can be stored in a freezer bag in the freezer. To reheat, warm in the toasted until just crisp on the outsides.
- This recipes yields 10 square waffles. Although it will depend on the size and shape of your waffle maker.