Broccoli Salad at its finest with raw broccoli, dates (or dried cranberries), sunflower seeds, cheddar cheese and onions tossed in a slightly sweet slightly tangy Greek yogurt dressing.
This is a good salad, friends. And good for you too! Because I happen to love when that happens.
This is a super easy and super quick (really we just toss everything together) kind of salad that is very much gluten free, vegetarian-friendly (finally a broccoli salad without the bacon!) and just all together pretty much delish.
Can you tell that broccoli was on mega-great sales at the market this past weekend?
I am one of those people who loses all control at the weekend farmers markets. I want everything and all of it times about 5. And then I make quite the scene trying to help Joshua lug my bags and bags of (very heavy!!) produce back to the car.
It’s the highlight of my week.
And then throughout the week, I have to get creative in all the different ways I can use all the great fruits and veggies I just had to buy. And big salads are one of my favourite ways to do that.
But I’m not talking regular, plain ‘ol salads. I’m talking delicious salads like this broccoli salad. I’m talking salads that are completely creamy and delicious. Salads that are full of raw veggies, like broccoli. And salads that are loaded with tasty treasures like little cheddar cheese cubes and dates.
Did I just loseyou at dates?
Trust me! Do the dates. Or do dried cranberries instead. But the dates. They are oh-so unexpected here but oh-so-perfectly lovely.
I have had a complete weakness for simple yet tasty dressings lately and this slightly sweet slightly tangy dressing coating all that broccoli and cheese is no exception.
It’s greek yogurt based so it’s naturally creamy and tangy and the perfect skinny salad choice.
It just works so well here.
And. Friends. Healthy Broccoli Salad is easy to make!
- 4–5 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces (from 1 large head or bunch)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raw or toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dates, finely chopped (or dried cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped (white, red or green onion will do)
- 3 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- To a large mixing bowl, add the chopped broccoli, cubed cheese, parsley, sunflower seeds, finely chopped dates and onion. Toss to combine.
- In a second smaller mixing bowl, whisk the yogurt, oil, and vinegar together then whisk in the honey and salt adding fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Pour the yogurt dressing over the broccoli and toss until the broccoli is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or keep in a airtight container for up to 2 days.