- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion (from about 1/4 large onion)
- 1 teaspoon oil (I used extra virgin olive)
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped and their juices (use grape, Roma or vine tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat cook the onions until very translucent in the oil.
- Add the diced tomatoes, sugar, salt and vinegar and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and then reduce heat and simmer.
- Let tomatoes simmer for 30-35 minutes, until most of the liquid has reduced.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Allow mixture to cool slightly and thicken before serving or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.