This Easy Peanut Noodles with Veggies recipe is a healthy take on one of my take-out favourites. This healthy veggie stir fry is with broccoli, soba noodles and a simple, creamy (and delicious!) peanut sauce with a hint of spice that will not disappoint.
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon tamari (or other soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lime (2–3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon asian hot sauce, or to taste (try a garlic-chili sauce or sriracha-style sauce)
- 1 small-ish clove of garlic, minced or finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional but recommended)
For the Noodles and Veggies:
- 1 250 g package of soba noodles*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large crown of broccoli (4–5 cups), washed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 –2 carrots (about 2 cups), peeled and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2–3 (packed) cups, roughly chopped leafy greens (kale, spinach, chard)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin (about 1 cup)
- chopped nuts (like peanuts or cashews), chopped cilantro or parsley, sliced green onion, extra hot sauce, sesame seeds, lime wedges
For the Sauce:
- Whisk together all peanut sauce ingredients until combined and smooth. Set aside.
For the Noodles:
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the starchy cooking liquid.
For the veggies:
- While the water is boiling and noodles are cooking, heat olive oil in a heavy-bottom skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli and carrots to the hot pan with 3 tablespoons of water. Place the lid on the pan and let steam for 4-5 minutes or until broccoli turn very green and just tender. Add the greens and pepper to the pan, return the lid and let steam for 2 more minutes.
- Remove veggies from the pan and set aside.
- When the noodles are done, add the peanut sauce to the pan with 2-4 tablespoons of starchy cooking liquid (thin to desired consistency) and let the sauce heat for about 1 minute. Add the noodles and veggies back to the pan and toss to evenly coat with the peanut sauce.
- Garnish with chopped nuts, cilantro, green onion, etc and serve immediately.
*Any long rice-based noodle would work here as well.