This Easy Detox Cabbage Soup recipe is the perfect veggie-packed soup for a busy week. Loaded with all the best wintery vegetables – cabbage, onions, garlic and carrots – this soup is good and good for you too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped (from 1–2 carrots)
- 4 cups cabbage, roughly chopped (from 1/2 of a small green cabbage)
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped (from 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with the juices
- 4 cups no-salt added vegetable stock (or use homemade)
- Optional: sliced green onions, fresh chopped parsley, fresh squeezed lemon juice, toast, etc for serving
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and just translucent.
- Add the spices to the onion and garlic – stir in the paprika, oregano, thyme, salt and a couple grinds of pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, cabbage and potatoes to the pot and continue to cook and stir until the cabbage is just starting to wilt down.
- Add the tomatoes and all their juices and the vegetable stock to the pot. Stir to incorporate.
- Bring soup to a gentle boil and cook until the potatoes are very soft and the cabbage is tender, about 35-40 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with sliced green onions, fresh parsley, a squeeze fresh lemon juice or some toast on the side.
- This soup is good for about 3 days in the fridge or freeze leftovers.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes