This Easy Veggie Cabbage Soup recipe is the perfect veggie-packed soup for a busy week. Loaded with all my favourite wintery vegetables – cabbage, onions, garlic and carrots – this soup is good and good for you too.
Talk about nutritious and delicious!
This cabbage soup is totally vegan and gluten-free and loaded with chopped vegetables like cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes. It’s easy to make, freezes perfectly and is a totally wholesome dinner idea to have all week when life gets a little busy.
Because sometimes a good bowl of soup is exactly what I need to get back on track.
This tomatoey soup is delicious and comforting and totally healthy all the same time!!
I had never really attempted a cabbage-based vegetable soup before and I was definitely missing out. The cabbage becomes so soft and tender and flavourful. And together with the onions and carrots and potatoes, the smoked paprika and dried herbs and garlic, this soup packs a flavour punch.
And it’s easy to make too! Everything gets chopped, thrown in the pot and simmered for 40 minutes or so until the potatoes are cooked through and the cabbage is nicely wilted and tender.
Every bite is full of healthy and wintery, in-season vegetables which make both my tummy and taste buds happy. Best served with fresh parsley or sliced green onions on top, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or some toast on the side.
This detox veggie cabbage soup recipe makes a ton of soup – it’s perfect for dinner or lunch all week long or freeze any leftovers for later on.
Because who doesn’t feel good after a big bowl of vegetables!Print
Easy Veggie Cabbage Soup
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
This Easy Detox Cabbage Soup recipe is the perfect veggie-packed soup for a busy week. Loaded with all the best wintery vegetables – cabbage, onions, garlic and carrots – this soup is good and good for you too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or finely grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped (from 1–2 carrots)
- 4 cups cabbage, roughly chopped (from 1/2 of a small green cabbage)
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped (from 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with the juices
- 4 cups no-salt added vegetable stock (or use homemade)
- Optional: sliced green onions, fresh chopped parsley, fresh squeezed lemon juice, toast, etc for serving
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and just translucent.
- Add the spices to the onion and garlic – stir in the paprika, oregano, thyme, salt and a couple grinds of pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, cabbage and potatoes to the pot and continue to cook and stir until the cabbage is just starting to wilt down.
- Add the tomatoes and all their juices and the vegetable stock to the pot. Stir to incorporate.
- Bring soup to a gentle boil and cook until the potatoes are very soft and the cabbage is tender, about 35-40 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve with sliced green onions, fresh parsley, a squeeze fresh lemon juice or some toast on the side.
- This soup is good for about 3 days in the fridge or freeze leftovers.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Leave a Reply