A curried butternut squash and apple soup recipe that’s creamy and sweet and full of flavour. This is the perfect gluten free, vegan and easy to make soup to warm up with on a cool fall night.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (from 1 small onion)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or grated (from 3–4 large cloves)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced or grated (from 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Granny Smith apple, skin on and chopped (about 1l apple)
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped (from 1 carrot)
- 5–6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (1 small-medium squash)
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups vegetable stock (try homemade or store bought)
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Heat coconut oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion to the hot pot. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until just translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and salt and pepper and stir until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the apple, carrot and butternut squash to the pot and stir well to incorporate into the onions and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the apples start to soften.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne to the pot, stirring so all the vegetables are well coated with the spices. Cook for about a minute until the spices are very fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce and simmer for 20 minutes until the butternut squash is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and blend into a smooth and creamy puree using an emersion blender in the soup pot, or transfer to a food processor or blender and blend in batches if necessary. (Let the soup cool slightly if you are using a food processor or blender.)
- Return the soup to the pot, if you had to remove it, and stir in the coconut milk. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately garnished with cilantro.