This Creamy Tomato Soup recipe is so easy to make and is loaded with loads of veggies. Thickened and made creamy with potatoes, this soup is a gluten-free and delicious way to enjoy your veggies.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped (from 1 medium carrot)
- 1 cup potato, peeled and chopped (from 1 medium potato)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped (from 1–2 stalks of celery)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb blend
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste (sodium free is preferred)
- 1 can (28 oz) no salt added whole tomatoes with their juices
- 4 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs like basil or parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or to taste (or use honey if not vegan)
- For serving: garlic toasts, fresh herbs, chili oil or extra virgin olive oil, red pepper flakes
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until just translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, carrots, potato, broccoli or other green vegetable, celery and cook until garlic is very fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, Italian blend and tomato paste to the pot, stirring until all the veggies are coated.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices and stir to release any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the vegetable stock and then the fresh herbs.
- Bring soup to a boil then reduce and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and honey and continue to simmer for a couple minutes more.
- Remove soup from heat and using an immersion blender or in batches use a high-speed blender or food processor to puree the soup until very smooth smooth.
- Serve warm with garnishes of choice. Store leftover soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This soup freezes very well too.
*or use other green vegetable like zucchini, green bell pepper or spinach
Prep time include time to chop the veggies and blending into a smooth puree.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes