A gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly Creamy Tomato and Greens Pasta recipe made with a simple, from scratch tomato sauce, goat cheese and of course, greens.
This post was sponsored by Bentilia Lentil Pasta. I used their Red Lentil Rotini for this recipe.
My favourite night of the week is always pasta night!
This Creamy Tomato and Greens Pasta has been a looooong time coming, friends. I have been making some variation of this recipe for some time now and we love it more and more each time. And I’m just deciding to share this goodness now – please forgive me.
But I make it up to you with bowls and bowls of this gluten-free, vegetarian-friendly and insane delicious tomato and greens pasta. Rich, creamy and filling and loaded with greens – you seriously can’t go wrong!
MORE ABOUT THIS CREAMY TOMATO AND GREENS PASTA RECIPE: TIPS AND TRICKS…
I went with a super quick, super easy-to-make tomato sauce for this recipe. You could, of course, use your favourite chunky jarred sauce instead (or try my favourite Healthy Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce), but this super simple ‘from scratch’ sauce uses only pantry ingredients and takes only 20 minutes to throw together. #worthit
The sauce is really just the basics – onions, garlic, tomato paste, a can of drained (very important that they are drained) diced tomatoes, Italian spice blend, salt and pepper – all simmered together on the stove then pulsed in a blender or food processor.
What makes this sauce a creamy one is when the goat cheese gets all melted in. Goat cheese is so versatile and that is why I love it. The cheese melts down into a rich and thick, creamy sauce that is just perfect every time. And even more perfect with just the tiniest drizzle of honey too – because goat cheese and honey are a great pair.
And a Creamy Tomato and Greens Pasta wouldn’t be so without the greens. Your choice on those – I prefer spinach but kale or Swiss chard or a combination of all of the above work great as well. And the more the merrier, I swear.
This recipe makes 4 pretty decent portions and is ready in less than 45 minutes (homemade sauce included even though the instructions list looks mighty long). Best served topped with your favourite pasta toppings – more cheese, nutritional yeast, extra basil or my favourite lately – hemp seeds for a little extra nutty flavour and texture (and because why not?!). And as always, is gluten-free, vegetarian friendly and definitely perfect reheated for lunch the next day too.
A gluten free and vegetarian friendly Creamy Tomato and Greens Pasta recipe made with a simple, from scratch tomato sauce, goat cheese and of course, greens.
For the Sauce: *
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup of onion)
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to you liking
- 1 28 oz can no salt added diced tomatoes (juices drained and discarded)
For the Pasta:
- 3 1/2 cups Bentilia Lentil Pasta (I used the Rotini noodle)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups (or about 6 oz) spinach (or other leafy green)
- 1/4 cup plain (full-fat) goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1/4 cup basil, roughly chopped (optional)
- Garnish: Hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese, more basil
For the Sauce:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until the onions turn just translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about a minute.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot along with the Italian spices, salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate and cook for another minute or two until very fragrant. Add the diced tomatoes to the pot and stir to incorporate.
- Cook the tomato mixture, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes until the tomatoes release their liquids and become very tender. (While tomatoes are cooking, start to boil salted water for the pasta.)
- Transfer the tomato mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse 4-5 times. (You want the sauce to still have some texture.) Set aside.
For the Pasta:
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large non-stick of heavy bottom pan over medium heat. Add the spinach (or leafy green of choice) and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the blended tomato sauce to the spinach stir to incorporate. Add about a 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking liquid from the pasta pot and the goat cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and no streaks remain.
- Add the honey and basil if using and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Fold the drained pasta into the creamy tomato sauce until each noodle is equally covered.
- Serve immediately, garnished with your favourite pasta topping.
*Or use your favourite chunky jarred tomato sauce instead and skip this step.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
This post was sponsored by Bentilia Lentil Pasta. I was supplied with pasta to create this recipe. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible!