Vegetable soup at its finest – Creamy Cauliflower Soup with lots of Roasted Garlic. A dreamy, creamy soup that is perfect for a cool fall night!
Because let’s be real for just a second here… It’s officially fall meaning that while the leaves are turning their beautiful deep burnt oranges, mustardy yellows, rusty reds and dusty browns I will be wrapped in only my warmest of socks and sweaters because it sure is getting chilly out there.
There is nothing quite like a cool fall night that reminds you that you absolutely need to invest in more wool socks and gets you craving a warm, steamy bowl of soup… soup that is probably of the cauliflower kind and has a touch of that super rich, super delicious roasted garlic taste and that is super easy to make and pretty much super healthy and good for you to boot.
I kind of really like soup.
Soup is probably my most favourite food (well, along with cookies and cheese and coffee and chocolate) in the entire world right now. Which may seem like an entirely ridiculously vague thing to say and kind of a weird nondescript thing to claim as my very fav but that is exactly why I love soup. Any kind. Any flavour.
Because what is not to love?!?
Soup – it is so simple, so versatile, so wholesome, so nourishing. Thickened or thin. Pureed ‘til silky smooth or left in its hearty form. Loaded with lots of vegetables or just focused on a single one. Hot or cold. A simple side dish or the main attraction. The beauty of soup is that it can be anything you want it to be. And that’s why I love love loooooove it.
And today I choose Creamy Cauliflower Soup, heavy on the roasted garlic.
I roasted a whole head of cauliflower with onions and garlic, seasoned it with some herbs then pureed everything to a smooth and silky bowl of goodness. (Gluten free goodness, I might add.) Roasting everything together in the oven beforehand gives this soup such wonderful flavour.
It is so easy, so delicious and truly a great side dish to accompany any dinner idea.
You guys!! You should probably make this for dinner tonight!!Print
A simple and delicious Creamy Cauliflower Soup recipe with of Roasted Garlic. A dreamy, creamy and gluten free soup that is perfect for a cool spring night!
- 3 onions (medium size), peeled, trimmed and quartered (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, roughly chopped into florets (about 6–8 cups)
- 1 large head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6–7 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (dairy, non-dairy)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Transfer onions and cauliflower to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cut the top off of the head of garlic and peel of as much papery skin as possible. Place the garlic on a piece of foil and drizzle with the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap the garlic in the foil and place on the baking sheet with the cauliflower and onion.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the cauliflower and onions are tender and the edges have begun to caramelize.
- Remove from vegetables from oven. Unwrap garlic from foil to let cool slightly, or until cool enough to handle. At this point the garlic will be like a paste, and you will be able to squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb.
- Transfer the cauliflower, onion and garlic to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add Italian spice blend, mustard and salt and toss to coat.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot and bring to a gentle boil.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender (or you can use a blender or food processor) puree soup until smooth and silky.
- Stir in milk. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve drizzled with good quality olive oil and fresh chopped parsley.