This Crazy Easy Black Bean Mango Quinoa Salad is so good with the perfect amount of sweet, spicy and crunch with mangos, peppers, lime and black beans. A gluten free and vegan possible lunch perfect for any day.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa, cold or at room temperature (about 3/4 cup quinoa cooked in 1 1/4 cups water or stock and then cooled)
- 2 cups black beans (I used 1 19-oz can of beans that I drained and rinsed well)
- 1 cup red pepper, finely chopped (about 1 small-medium pepper)
- 1 cup mango, finely chopped (from 1 ripe mango)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
Sweet and Spicy Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 – 2 tablespoon maple syrup, to taste (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste (I used Frank’s)
- Pinch of salt
For the Quinoa Salad
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk oil, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper together.
- Fold the beans and chopped veggies – red pepper, mango, cilantro, onion and jalapeno (if using) – in with the oil dressing until evenly coated. The fold in the quinoa. Stir until the salad is even mixed. Season with extra salt, pepper or lime juice, if needed.
For the Sweet and Spicy Lime Dressing
- Add oil, lime juice, agave (or sweetener of choice), hot sauce and salt to a bowl or mason jar. Whisk or shake until the salad dressing comes together. Adjust sweetness, hot sauce or lime to taste, if needed.
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon over the quinoa salad before serving. (I like to keep the dressing separate until I am just ready to eat as I find too much extra liquid in the salad makes the quinoa and veggies go mushy over time.)