Toasted Coconut Almond Energy Bites are the perfect simple and easy to make oat-based, granola-like snack that everyone will love! Made with freshly toasted coconut, oats and almonds mixed with creamy almond butter, sweet honey and mini chocolate chips.
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats, gluten free certified
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/4 cup oat flour, gluten free certified
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- Pinch of sea salt, optional
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, mini or regular chocolate chips
- Heat a large pan or skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add the oats, almonds and coconut to the pan. Toast for 10-12 minutes stirring and shaking the pan frequently until the coconut starts to turn a golden brown and the everything become very fragrant. ** Careful not to let the coconut, oats and almonds burn. Once they start browning it doesn’t take long for them to be burnt to a crisp. Make sure you keep a close eye. Remove from heat and let cool until just warm to the touch. (You can speed the cooling process by putting the oat mixture in the fridge or freezer.)
- Add the oat flour to the oat and coconut mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the honey and almond butter and pinch of salt and stir until very well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. (If you find the mixture is a little to dry and oats aren’t being evenly coated with the honey mixture you can add a little more honey to achieve the right consistency. Similarly, if the mixture is too wet and sticky you can add a little more oat flour.)
- Taking a cookie scoop, tablespoon or such, measure out a scoop and tightly roll and pack the oat mixture into a ball. Place the ball on a lined baking sheet. Continue until all of the oat mixture is gone.
- Place the baking sheet of energy bites to the freezer to set for about 20 minutes before transferring the bites to an air-tight container in the fridge. (If you aren’t going to eat the bites right away, you can keep them in the freezer until you need them making them a great make-ahead snack!)
Prep time includes cooling time for toasted oat mixture or freezing time for the bites to set. [br]Recipes makes about 16 large bites. Yield depends on size of bites.
- Serving Size: 1