Toasted Coconut Almond Energy Bites are the perfect simple and easy-to-make oat-based, granola-like snack that everyone will love!
Seriously! I just want to eat every.single.bite.
These Toasted Coconut Almond Energy Bites have me really excited. I mean, just the flavours here – toasted coconut, almond butter, honey, chocolate! And it’s all rolled into one delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free and no-bake bites of goodness.
Simple and easy to make granola-like snacks that are great for any occasion – a quick breakfast, an easy and convenient snack, a simple dessert or, if I dare say, lunch because they are just too good not to… I think we all need more Toasted Coconut Almond Energy Bites!
Words do not even begin to describe how absolutely and completely obsessed I am with these coconut almond energy bites.
Alternative titles for these bites were: 1) These are the only thing I’ve eaten for the past week… 2) The only thing I want to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner from now on… 3) A slur of mumbo-jumbo nonsense because my mouth is too full of delicious toasted coconut and creamy almond butter to speak properly.
Again, no words.
They are very much easy to make – not super labour intensive like they may seem and they don’t fall apart or get all crumbly upon first bite. And they are very much trendy for a reason, they’re pretty darn delicious.
Toasted Coconut Almond Energy Bites are the perfect simple and easy to make oat-based, granola-like snack that everyone will love! Made with freshly toasted coconut, oats and almonds mixed with creamy almond butter, sweet honey and mini chocolate chips.
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats, gluten free certified
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/4 cup oat flour, gluten free certified
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- Pinch of sea salt, optional
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, mini or regular chocolate chips
- Heat a large pan or skillet on the stove over medium heat. Add the oats, almonds and coconut to the pan. Toast for 10-12 minutes stirring and shaking the pan frequently until the coconut starts to turn a golden brown and the everything become very fragrant. ** Careful not to let the coconut, oats and almonds burn. Once they start browning it doesn’t take long for them to be burnt to a crisp. Make sure you keep a close eye. Remove from heat and let cool until just warm to the touch. (You can speed the cooling process by putting the oat mixture in the fridge or freezer.)
- Add the oat flour to the oat and coconut mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the honey and almond butter and pinch of salt and stir until very well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. (If you find the mixture is a little to dry and oats aren’t being evenly coated with the honey mixture you can add a little more honey to achieve the right consistency. Similarly, if the mixture is too wet and sticky you can add a little more oat flour.)
- Taking a cookie scoop, tablespoon or such, measure out a scoop and tightly roll and pack the oat mixture into a ball. Place the ball on a lined baking sheet. Continue until all of the oat mixture is gone.
- Place the baking sheet of energy bites to the freezer to set for about 20 minutes before transferring the bites to an air-tight container in the fridge. (If you aren’t going to eat the bites right away, you can keep them in the freezer until you need them making them a great make-ahead snack!)
Prep time includes cooling time for toasted oat mixture or freezing time for the bites to set.
Recipes makes about 16 large bites. Yield depends on the size of bites.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
MORE ABOUT THIS COCONUT ALMOND ENERGY BITES RECIPE…
It starts at toasted coconut (AKA the best kind of coconut). There’s just something about toasted coconut that is sooo good. The deep toasty flavour. The golden brown colour. The amazing coconutty aroma. And it only gets better when you add chopped almonds and rolled oats.
Toasting the oat and almonds along with the coconut gives these balls such a crazy intense flavour. I have no words to describe the goodness – just do it!!
And then all that delicious toasted goodness sticks together with creamy almond butter and honey. That’s right – toasted, chopped almonds on top of almond butter on top of sweetened (or unsweetened – whatever you have on hand) shredded, toasted coconut on top of honey on top of oats. And then fold in some mini chocolate chips. Because everything is even more delicious with chocolate.
I use a cookie scoop to measure out my bites – but you can use a tablespoon measure, ice cream scoop or just wing-it to scoop out your bites into however big or small you’d like. Then just roll and pack them tightly and let them set in the freezer for 20 minutes or so before storing them in the fridge.
I think they’ll be gone before you know it.