This soup is completely gluten-free and vegetarian-friendly. Make it vegan by forgetting the butter and honey for more olive oil and maple syrup. And definitely make sure to garnish with extra grassy parsley on top with lots of fresh apple matchsticks as well.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onion, chopped (from about 1 1/2 smallish onions)
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups celery root, peeled and chopped (from 1 small-medium celery root)
- 1 cup potato, peeled and chopped (from 1 medium potato – I used a russet potato)
- 2 1/2 cups apple, peeled and chopped (from 2 medium apples – I used macintosh apples)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Apple matchsticks (macintosh or granny smith apples), for garnish
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- When the butter is warm and bubbly, add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until just translucent. Add the garlic and the salt and stir until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the celery root, potato and apple to the pot and stir well to incorporate into the onions and garlic.
- Add the vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce and simmer for 25 minutes until the celery root is very tender and is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the pot from the heat and blend into a smooth and creamy puree using an emersion blender, food processor or blender. (We don’t want any celery root or apple chunks in this soup so give the hand blender or food processor lots of time.)
- Return the soup to the pot, if you had to remove it, and stir in the lemon juice and the honey. Season the soup with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm with apple matchsticks and freshly chopped parsley on top.
How to peel a celery root – http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-peel-celery-root-74548
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes