Wikipedia also refers to it Turnip-Root Celery and Knob Celery.
Whatever you call it, it is still one of the most awful looking vegetables on the tables of farmer’s markets and on grocery store shelves. Bulbous and fury and often coated in dirt, it just gives people that ‘I have no idea what to do with you so I am going to ignore’ look.
You know the one. The look reserved only for celery roots, kohlrabi and oversized rutabagas that you know you will never be able to get your knife through on your own. The look that the most unfamiliar or hard to work with veggies get while the orange carrots, definitely not the purple or yellow carrots, are just soaking in smiles and happy consumers on the next shelf over.
But today I bring you ugly vegetable turned beautiful in this Creamy Celery Root and Apple soup.
Packed with nothing but celery root, fall-fresh apples and a little bit of potato. It’s creamy and smooth. It’s gluten free and very vegetarian and just so good for you. It’s so very celery and parsley with a little bit of apple all at once. It’s just so fall.
I don’t know if you guys can tell but fall is my season. Don’t get me wrong, I love summer. Mostly for the abundance of fruits and veggies and BBQ parties on the patio. But fall just speaks to me. The pretty colours, the cooler temperatures, the not having to apply crazy amounts of sunscreen at 30 minute intervals throughout each and every day. You need a jacket but not a snow suit. I think it is just the best.
Joshua totally agrees with me. Which is why we are 98% decided on a wedding date and venue for our wedding next October!! (UPDATE: We actually got married in June of 2016 and not in the fall but still…) I just think the fall colours and the leaves on the ground and the early sunsets will be just perfect for our evening wedding visions. I went to look a venue this week and I think it may be ‘the one’.
Of course, we definitely said that about the other 3 venues we looked at and really liked this past month but I almost have that ‘Say Yes to the Dress’ feeling with this one. And they have fall bookings still available with in almost impossible to find. It’s going to take a lot of work and a lot of decorating but I think it could be just perfect.
Is it bad that I kind of already know what food I want to serve at the wedding before I actually have a date and a place to get married at?
I didn’t think so.
I want warm delicious, seasonal food that screams fall, which will tie in so nicely with our fall-rustic-dyi-vintage-lacey-romantic-candlelight wedding theme. Food like this soup. The colour, the smooth and creamy texture the bright and fresh apples and parsley on top.
Celery Root and Apple Soup – perfect for a casual lunch or the most important night of Rebecca’s life.
MORE ABOUT THIS CREAMY CELERY ROOT AND APPLE SOUP RECIPE
It’s just so fall. And delicious.
Potatoes, apples, onion, garlic, and of course, the star of this show, the celery root/celeriac/knob. They all come together in a flavour explosion in your mouth.
The potatoes make this soup creamy and filling. I went with my friend the russet potato but you use whatever it is you have on hand.
As for the apple, I went with a tart, crisp and super fresh tasting apple. Granny Smith apples, the super bright green ones, are the best. Blended up, they give some body to the soup while lending a slightly sweet-tart thing. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
And the celery root. If you never had it before it tastes like celery x 1000 minus the stringy, hair-like texture. But very, very celery in almost a potato texture. I know, it’s totally weird and bizarre but delicious nonetheless. Just make sure you clean your celery really well – we don’t want any residual celery dirt, hair or skin in this soup!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onion, chopped (from about 1 1/2 smallish onions)
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups celery root, peeled and chopped (from 1 small-medium celery root)
- 1 cup potato, peeled and chopped (from 1 medium potato – I used a russet potato)
- 2 1/2 cups apple, peeled and chopped (from 2 medium apples – I used macintosh apples)
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Apple matchsticks (macintosh or granny smith apples), for garnish
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- When the butter is warm and bubbly, add the onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until just translucent. Add the garlic and the salt and stir until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the celery root, potato and apple to the pot and stir well to incorporate into the onions and garlic.
- Add the vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce and simmer for 25 minutes until the celery root is very tender and is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the pot from the heat and blend into a smooth and creamy puree using an emersion blender, food processor or blender. (We don’t want any celery root or apple chunks in this soup so give the hand blender or food processor lots of time.)
- Return the soup to the pot, if you had to remove it, and stir in the lemon juice and the honey. Season the soup with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm with apple matchsticks and freshly chopped parsley on top.
How to peel a celery root – http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-peel-celery-root-74548