An easy-to-make Southwest Black Bean and Kale Salad recipe perfect for a healthy lunch all week or as the best veggie-packed side dish to serve with dinner. Made with all your favourite southwest ingredients – black beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro and onions with a spicy, zesty lime cumin dressing with just the right kick of heat.
For the Dressing:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime (2–3 tablespoons; plus more for serving)
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
For the Salad:
- 6 cups kale (gently packed), tough stems removed and finely chopped
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed well (from 1 19-oz can)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley and/or cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ cup canned corn*
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup; or use any colour pepper)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, shake together the dressing until smooth – olive oil, lime juice, salt, cumin, chili powder, pepper and cayenne pepper. Season the dressing to taste, adding more salt or lime juice, if needed. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the kale. Drizzle half of the dressing over the kale and massage for a minute or two until the kale is wilted and softened.
- Add the black beans, herbs, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes and onion to the kale. Pour the remaining dressing over top and mix well. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Best if served immediately. Can keep in the fridge for up to 2 days (additional salt and lime juice may be needed if serving a day or two later)
You could add the full can of corn to the salad – I found that to be too corny. I put any remaining corn and black beans into a freezer bag and popped them into the freezer until my next taco night so they weren’t wasted. I did not try this recipe with frozen corn or fresh corn but I’m sure those would be good options as well.